Advice Needed: What center speaker to get for my R30s?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Edward_M, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Edward_M

Edward_M Agent

Hello HT'ers! I need your advice. I got the Polk Audio R30 floor standing speakers from Fry's today. Now I need to get a center channel speaker that matches with this one.

1. What is the actual POLK center that matches this speaker?
    2. Is there a center speaker from a different maker that you can suggest that would go well with this?

Budget = nothing over $200 I guess.

Also, will the Dayton TMII mix well with the R30s?

THANKS!!!

To moderator: You can delete the post I made on the receiver forum about this. My bad. I thought I was at the right forum when I first posted.

2. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Looking in Polk Audio website, ... in their floor-standing model R30 webpage, ... they recommend** Center model CSi20 (MSRP:
    $179.95 each speaker)

**MFG's recommendation would indicate that the Center CSi20 is timbre-(voiced)-matched with your R30.

Phil

3. Edward_M

Edward_M Agent

Thanks for the reply. Is it really important to follow the timbre-matching? So far I can see one listed on ebay and electronicsexpress selling it as well. Know any other place where this may be available?

4. Phil Iturralde

Phil

5. Edward_M

Edward_M Agent

Ok I am having a hard time finding the CSi20. Do you guys think the CS1 will blend well with the R30s?

6. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Edward, I doubt the CS1 (from the new Monitor line) will match well enough. I'd hold out for the CSi20, if I were you.

You could always go to Audiogon and post a "wanted" ad for the speaker you are looking for. Also, Club Polk (forums) at the Polk Audio Web site might be another area to search for this speaker - people post their sale ads there, too.

7. Edward_M

Edward_M Agent

Thanks Wayne. I lost on the bidding for a csi20 earlier. By $2.50!!! I tried to beat the highest bid but ran out of time. Fortunately I contacted the seller and he said he has another one to sell for the same price. Hope that turns out well.

So will this setup be good enough?

R30 fronts
    CSi20 center
    R15 rear
    Dayton TMII sub

My amp is a Panny XR50.

Thanks again!!

8. Phil Iturralde

Sorry for the late response, but we're @ Las Vegas! (my wifes Prudential Realtor's Convention)

That should do it!!! [​IMG]

Just remember to get the most out of your setup, you must get a RS SPL Meter so you can REFERENCE** Calibrate your HT Speakers around you!

**You can use the Test Tones on your XR50 @ 75 dBc, or buy AVIA DVD and REF Calibrate that @ 85 dBc.

Have fun,
    Phil

9. Edward_M

Edward_M Agent

Thanks for your responses. Now I can't wait to have this set up kicking. I am actually upgrading from the HSU VT-12. I was at first excited due to the large number of good reviews for the VT-12. But when I got it setup, I was really not impressed. Maybe it's just psychological but I could clearly tell that most of the sound is just coming from the center (the ventriloquist center) and the rest is just props. I also tried several speaker placements to no avail. In fact I liked the clarity of my very first HT speakers better, the cambridge soundworks (with a passive sub at that!). I auditioned the R30 and R15 at Fry's without any center and in itself I was already impressed. Just goes to show that full sized speakers are way way better than what they fit into those satellite ones.

Thanks again guys! Can't wait to piss off the neighbors.

10. Edward_M

Edward_M Agent

BTGW, Paul, did you mean 75 or 85 dbc on the SPL meter? Or do you mean the volume on my amp should be at about that level? If its the volume level on the amps, what should I set the SPL meter to? Sorry for the silly questions. I guess I only have basic knowledge on how to use the SPL. I usually just set it to 60 and see how they all level up from my listening spot.

11. RickB

RickB Extra

Edward, I have the same speaker setup you are building and can offer a suggestion. R30's for the front and R15's for rear.

I picked up the CSi20 for my center and found it to be a little too soft, too low in relation to the R30's and did some investigation on matching. If you had the R50's as the front the recommendation for the center is the CSi30, however many use it along with the R30's as well. Speaker composition matches although the CSi30 contains three speakers and a nicer has a cabinet than the CSi20. The CSi only has two speakers.

I used the CSi20 as the center until I found the CSi30. At that time I moved the CSi20 into my center rear position. Again, many use these speakers in this combination.

I am much more satisfied with the CSi30 as my center speaker. Even without using the CSi20 in the rear, the balancing of my front stage is much better than with the CSi20. I would look around for someone selling the CSi30, you should be able to pick one up that fits your budget, shouldn't be much more than the CSi20.

12. Phil Iturralde

Phil here (though Paul was my late father's name), ... I mean set your RS Meter to read 75 dBc (Weight = C / Speed = SLOW) when you use one of the following ...

- AV Receiver/AMP internal test tones
    - Dolby Labs DD-EX DVD
    - Original & Digital Video Essentials DVD's

The reason you use 75 dBc is that their test tones are recorded @ -30dBFS (75 +30 = 105 dBc / Dolby reference level is defined as 105 dB)

----

Set your RS Meter to read 85 dBc (Weight = C / Speed = SLOW) when you use one of the following ...

- AVIA DVD
    - Sound & Vision HT Tuneup DVD

The reason you use 85 dBc is that their test tones are recorded @ -20dBFS (85 +20 = 105 dBc / Dolby reference level is defined as 105 dB)

FYI: Read my CALIBRATION TECHNIQUES website - I'm using Dolby Labs DD-EX w/dedicated LFE Test Tones.

Phil

13. Andy_A

Andy_A Second Unit

do it right and get a 3rd R30 to use as the center channel, if you can. I also got the R30s from Fry's and that is my plan. I should have bought it right off. I do understand, however, that for some this is not an option.