1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice Needed: SVS 25-31CS or PSI

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Norman L, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Norman L

Norman L Second Unit

SVS question:

Should I get the 25-31CS since I have a spare seperate AMP (Hi-End Tamberg from 1986 150Watts/8 Ohms per channel) or the 25-31PCI?

What are the pro's or con's on the CS with an existing Amp or the PCi?

Should I use a Preamp with the Amp since the Amp has no volume control?

I do not have the manual on my Tanberg Amp so I do not know the rating at 4 OHM, does that make a difference?

Is any one sorry that they bought a CS and not a PCi?

I just received my new ONYKO 600, my first 5.1 or 6.1 receiver.

I am using B&W DM2000 (from the mid 1980's) for the L/R and hope that the B&W LCR60 S3 are a match for the center.

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

If you are a 'tweaker' at all, the CS is good for you because you can swap amps at will.

If you want to buy it and have no fuss or extra mess, the PCi is for you.

The CS is also cheaper, and a second is easy to integrate if you feel it's warranted.

I'd tell my friends to get whichever they want, but lean towards the CS, since that's what I have and I love it, old driver and all.

- C

3. Norman L

Norman L Second Unit

Colin,

Do you use a Receiver, PreAmp & Amp or a plain Amp without controls to run the SVS? Any comments on just an AMP?

4. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I've used all methods with success.

Specifically -

An old Harman Kardon rec., sub output into the left input of the CD/Aux, left speaker output into the SVS. Nice, fat, deep sound with about 40 - 70 watts, I'm not sure.

An NHT SA-2 dedicated sub amp, sub output into sub input, Main AVR's sub level at -5, NHT amp volume control at 25% (not important, the amp's volume knob ends up where it ends up.)

Old Marantz mono amp borrowed from a buddy. No problems there, but no improvement, either.

PE 250w plate amp, current setup. Running heavy equalization along with it, that's another story.

I don't think you need a pre-amp in the chain at all. Almost any amplifier will work with the sub-out from your AVR.

Any other ??

- C