Advice needed - Satellite Problems

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by carlos torres, Mar 11, 2002.

1. carlos torres

carlos torres Auditioning

In the last several weeks the Satellite reception on one of my TVs has gone bad. After going into the menu of Sony receiver it appears as though every other transponder is not picking up a good reception. The signal strength is very low to nothing at times and on other ocasions will fluctuate up down. The other TV that is hooked up to the same LNB is performing perfectly.

I got a new receiver thinking that was the problem. This did not fix the problem. I checked the LNB by swapping the inputs leading from the LNB to the two receivers thinking that the TV that was working fine would yield the same result but it did not.

The only thing I can think of now is that the cable leading to the non-working TV is bad or defective. I have not changed this cable since installing the system over 4 years ago. Do these cables go bad? The cable does run outside the house under the roof's overhang.

I don't think its the LNB or receiver. Can anyone think of anything else it could be other than the cable? Thanks.

Regards

Carlos

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

3. carlos torres

carlos torres Auditioning

Robert

Thanks.

Instead of replacing the entire length of the cable (over 50 ft), I should cut some of the existing cable where the F-connector is and screw on a new one (while at the same time exposing some "fresh" copper connection - or do you think the corrosion would go pretty deep down the copper center?).

Regards,

Carlos

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    You will be able to see once you strip the coax. For outside connections, I use RCA F-connectors with a rubber O-ring inside. For inside I use the generic crimp on brand from Home Depot. You can also get slip on protectors or special tape that will completely seal the connection from places like Parts Express. I use an adjustable stripper (278-248) and crimper (278-242) from Radio Shack.
    -Robert