Advice Needed - Receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Chris KAudio, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Chris KAudio

Chris KAudio Stunt Coordinator

I am a newbie to all of this surround sound stuff. [​IMG]
    Basically, I will be posting a few threads in different forums once I get the answer. I am starting here with the reciever.

I will be living in an apartment, fairly decent size. The actual TV room size is 11 X 15.

I basically just want good quality surround sound for movies as well as music. I don't need the most expensive equipment. But I would like some good quality equipment.

Can anybody give me some direction?

Much appreciated.

-Chris

2. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Umm. A little vague here. How about a budget, what kind of music you listen to, how loud you like to listen to it. Do you have any other issues, such as "The wife doesn't want huge speakers taking up room in the living room" or something like that.

Also, where do you live? That might give us an idea of what dealers are in your area. Inevitably, our recommendations can only go so far. Your ears will have to do the deciding. Mind you, you should go out some time this week and cruise your local H/T dealers. See what they have, listen to different stuff. That'll narrow your focus. Then we can provide more accurate advice. But the way it stands, there's alot of ground between Mark Levinson gear and a bargain basement receiver.

(You should start with speakers anyways, they affect the sound of your system the most).

3. Chris KAudio

I listen to all types of music. Rap/Hip-Hop, Classic Rock, and Jazz. The only problem I really have is being in an apartment setting, so the bass can't be tooo loud.

I live in St. Louis Missouri. I want to spend under $1000 bucks for all the components and wires.

I was thinking floor speakers would be easier considering I am in an apartment and can't really place things on the wall.

What else can I tell you?

-Chris

4. Chris KAudio

bump....

5. John Brill

John Brill Supporting Actor

When you say $1000, does that include:

1) Receiver
    2) DVD Player
    3) 5.1 or 6.1 sound
    4) TV/Monitor?

Basically, if you want something good and easy, Yamaha has excellent HTiB's which are full components (RX-V440 or RX-V540 receivers, 6 bookshelf speakers, and a small sub-woofer (6.25"), DVD Player) There are a couple of options you can choose from depending on your budget. Denon/Mission, Onkyo, Marantz, NAD, H/K, also have similar packages. For a little more money, you can test reciever and speaker combos to your hearts content and then there is always the on-line route if you are comfortable with that.

Basically, Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, Marantz, NAD, H/K all have decently priced Recievers that are all pretty much do the same thing (of which you'll get huge debate on this forum).

JB