Advice needed please.....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Cagri, Dec 19, 2002.

1. Cagri

Cagri Second Unit

Hello everyone. Can you give advice/opinion? Here's my setup: Loewe Calida 32" tv, Kef Q35.2 fronts, Kef Cresta center, Wharfedale Modus Cube surrounds, Kenwood kr5050 receiver, Kenwood DPFJ3030 jukebox and Pioneer dv515. I know it is a basic entry level setup, but I am very happy with the TV, fronts and the CD player. I bought the receiver last year thinking I would replace it with a decent one for better music reproduction, but to my surprise it performed fine. I am not an audiophile anyway, if the soundstage is open and the sound is clear I am OK. And I was; until I moved to a bigger flat. I have an L shaped living room with carpeted floors and curtains on one side wall. It is abot 30' to 16'. The is now a bit dull and lost its openness... First thing I thought was the receiver. I wonder if I replace the receiver with a better one, is it going to make any good? I can't be sure if this will be worth as my other gear isn't high-end anyways... Or can there be any other reason like speakers not match or the placement of the speakers etc?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Have you experimented with speaker placement, Cagri? I'm one of those who doesn't subscribe to the notion that electronics "sound different" from one another beyond their power and distortion levels. Then, again, with the larger theater space you could probably benefit from electronics that provide more oomph, more power. (Your system, by the way, is not bad at all. Love the Loewe.)

3. Cagri

Cagri Second Unit

Jack, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I am not able to play with the placement of the speakers, the decoration in the room is not suitable to do that... I think I will have to replace the receiver... As you suggest, I need some more power... When watching a movie the receiver simply can't deliver, turn it up and there starts distortion...I hadn't thought Kenwood's 5*100w would ever be less than I would need... But then, I wish I had known those watts would come out to be 1/3rd in 5 channel mode...You live and learn... Maybe a better receiver will help to improve soundstage as well...

4. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    If you look at receivers here are a few brand to concider IMHO, hope this helps?

Rotel
    Denon
    Yamaha
    Harman Kardon
    Pioneer Elite