Advice Needed on Speaker wire and Speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Al-M, Apr 29, 2002.

1. Al-M

Al-M Auditioning

Hello Audio Experts

I have a few questions to ask of you:

I am planning on eventually purchasing a Marantz 7200 Stereo Receiver to go with my future home theater/stereo system. I am currently having a house built and will have the opporitunity to do some of my own wiring. My first question to you is, what kind of wiring should I use (quality versus cost)? I would like to see a wide range of possiblilities from a quality and a cost standpoint. Second, with respect to the wiring, what kind of speakers should I shoot for? I know this matrix is enormous, it all depends what I want to spend. I can tell you right now, I don't plan to buy top-of-the-line speakers. Don't get me wrong, I would like to get a good source of output from these speakers. Should I get floor speakers, or in-wall?

I would respect each of your opinions, because most of you know more than I will ever dream of knowing about audio equipment.

I am also installing a M&S intercom system....anyone have any opinions on these systems?

2. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

As far as the wiring goes, the only decision you need to make prior to moving in is about the in-wall wiring, and there because of UL requirements you don't have nearly the selection that you have for interconnects and speaker cables that just run on the floor. The best you're going to find, I think, is in-wall rated 12-gauge speaker wire. Nothing particularly exotic. Check out www.onecall.com for a nice selection. If you like, you can get the best in-wall-rated wire, and it still won't be all that expensive.
    About the speakers, it's tempting to get in-wall speakers for the main HT room, at least for the surrounds, when you have new construction, but speakers that are freestanding or hang ON the wall are on the whole much better, and there's a much wider selection. So, if it were me I would just run the cable to the speaker location (might as well include two rear speakers, as well as surrounds on the sides) and leave 18" or so hanging out. For more casual listening, such as the kitchen, etc., in-walls make much more sense. The ones from B&W (which I used in a house a few years ago) are probably near the top-of-the-line.

3. Al-M

Al-M Auditioning

4. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

Well, assuming they're both in-wall, that "THX" designation is pretty impressive, right? But, I really don't know much about these particular cables.

5. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

Al-M,
    How about a bit of info on the room? Dimensions and such?
    How much of an HT system do you plan on eventually putting together? This can impact not only the initial components you buy but also the wiring (dedicated power circuits, more inwall wires for Rear Centers, etc.)
    If you haven't explored the idea of dedicated circuits yet, now (before wallboard goes up) would be a good time. [​IMG]
    What kind of price range are you open to for speakers? Do you plan on a sub (highly recommended)?
    The best in-walls I've ever heard were from James Loudspeaker, the X Series 5.1. Really outstanding. Perhaps more money than you wish to spend though. You can find some info here: James Loudspeakers (Disclaimer: I'm in no way associated with the company, etc.--just a fan).
    Have you checked out the HT Construction and Interiors forum here at HTF? They might have some further ideas for in-wall wiring, terminations, etc.
    Regards,
    Mike

6. Al-M

Al-M Auditioning

Mike,

The Family Room is 15'-5" wide x 20' long with built-in home theater shelving in the far corner by a fireplace(not the most ideal, but I am trying to make the best out of what I have). It opens up in the back to the breakfast nook (with a small corner for a floor speaker if need be.

I am planning on the mentioned Marantz receiver, plus a HDTV, and would like to incorporate at least 5.1/6.1 DD sound, plus a DVD w/ progressive scan of course. I am definitely planning on including a sub.

What do you mean by dedicated circuits?

I would feel comfortable paying ~$200-250 per speaker (or less of course). I don't want to pay for speakers just because you hear the faintest little difference in the quality of the sound, but want an overall good set of speakers (both in the front and in the rear). If floor or book-shelf speakers are the way to go, then I will go that route.

Thanks for the help, grealty appreciated!!!

7. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

Is that shelving in the far corner right next to where your video display will be? If not, you may wish to consider running video cables through the walls as well as speaker cables.
    Dedicated lines/circuit threads:
    Dedicated Power Line
    power requirements?
    For speakers I'd recommend taking a look at the Diva Swans at www.av123.com. You could do a relatively inexpensive surround system with 2.1 or 4.1 mains, the C3 center, and 2.1 or R3 rears. They generally offer great pricing on packages if you simply give a call. There are threads here at HTF and over at the AVS forum about the Divas if you'd like more info and comparisons.
    If you're looking for something less expensive than that you might try a posting in the Subwoofers/Speakers area inviting suggestions for a specific dollar amount.
    BTW, welcome to the forum. [​IMG]