What's new

ADVICE NEEDED on RPTV, will buy soon! (1 Viewer)

Winston D

Agent
I am looking for a widescreen HDTV ready monitor. I saw Panasonics PT56WX42 at onecall.com for around $2100 shipped. Is this a good one? IF not what else do I need to consider around the same price range? IS there somthing not good about this model? I am planning to buy one within this month and I havent researched. Too busy working and no time. But at least now i have the money. Please reply ASAP.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
If you're going to get a Panny, you might want to get the 53wx42 instead and save a few hundred bucks(!)--plenty enough for ISF calibration(!). I have not seen anybody post about owning the 56", but it seems like there's absolutely no difference compared to the 53", except for the extra 3" AND wider base that gives it a straight line finish/look like most other RPTVs. Do know that the screen bezel of the 53" sags a bit along the 2 bottom corners because of lack of support from the base, but so far, this looks like just a cosmetic issue--you should see for yourself though.

FWIW, I bought the 53" just a couple weeks ago. It's a good TV, but you should get it ISF calibrated, especially if you don't have the time and/or inclination to tweak the TV for best performance. With the savings on the 53", you can definitely afford to hire an ISF guy--maybe the next time Gregg Loewen tours your way(!).

BTW, I don't know if you've noticed, but OneCall seems to be hiding(?) the Panny 53" from prospective buyers--maybe to bolster(?) sales of the 47" and 56". If you only bother to check their "Big Screen Savings" link on the front page, it does not list the 53". But if you check by navigating their usual menus/links, including the link for all Panasonic models from that "savings" page, you'll find it. Of course, I could be way off on this.

Anyway, you might also want to consider the OneCall deal on the Toshiba 50H82 posted above in this forum. It's a sweet deal, and the TV will be DVI upgradeable while the Panny is not. Also, the Toshiba is ~6" shallower, if that matters, and might look a little better for normal TV viewing. I suggest you go take a look at a local dealer to decide for yourself. FWIW, if I'm buying right now, I might go for that Toshiba deal over the Panny 53"--actually, I'd also check out Sam's Club for the reported $850(!) deal on the Panny 47wx49, but that TV has some caveats.

Finally, I'd recommend getting the TV at a local dealer just in case something goes wrong. With some haggling, you might be able to get one for close to OneCall's prices. Otherwise, you should probably get OneCall's white glove delivery service for a smoother delivery.

Enjoy!

_Man_

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Pioneer SD533HD5 53 inch 16:9 HDTV Ready TV. Great set, awesome picture, the best stretch modes, and only 2" smaller than the Panny you were looking at ($150 more, but worth it). It also has 64 point user convergence (vs. 9 point user on the Panny).
BTW, there is an error in the description that stems from the Pioneer site -- there are 2 S-Video inputs in the back, not just 1.

Winston D

Agent
Thanks so much for the reply. What is ISF anyway? Maybe I need to read some FAQ's on this forum when I find time. I will try to consider the Toshiba deal too, Man Fai. And the Pioneer is something I did not even look at. Thanks for mentioning it, Hanson. Will continue to read replies. Thanks!!!!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Winston,
Check here for lots of good info, including ISF calibration:
http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/index.htm
A couple of the excellent ISF guys involved w/ that site also frequent this forum. In fact, Gregg is an admin here. :) I'm personally debating whether to get my set calibrated as well. If you read other recent posts, you'll find some testimonials. Here's one:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...92#post1214192
FYI, if you do intend to get ISF calibration, you should wait a few weeks (roughly 100 hours of viewing) for your new TV to settle in first. Also, ISF calibration should be considered for just about any TV you plan to buy. Unless you have the time and inclination to tweak your own TV, it's bound to make a big difference.
Enjoy!
_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks