advice needed on new reciever

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Merrinp, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Merrinp

Merrinp Auditioning

Yep i've recently purchased a Marantz SR4300 reciever as well as a Marantz DVD player from a cash n carry warehouse here in the UK, so no real backup advice from the vendor. Before I go and order up some expensive cables I need some good advice. Well, I was sold an optical digital cable by the vendor as being all i need to connect DVD to reciever, I now learn from the user manual this connection is for audio only.
    I have however connected up the DVD direct to my TV and then via my VCR with cheap RCA interconnects and that works ok.

I see from the reciever manual, that I can use it as a command centre for all my audio and video requirements ie Satellite in/out, DVD in/out,VCR in/out.

On using the cheap RCA interconnects to deliver the DVD signals to the reciever I can hear the audio via the Hifi speakers but when i connect RCA's from an out jack to my VCR for example the VCR reads nothing as if the output jack is dead. Anybody know why?

If i purchase an S-video interconnect to send video to the amp (to go together with the optical link) can i then use the RCA output jacks to send the signal to the TV & VCR? Or can i only send one type of input out using the same format (eg S-vid to S-vid)?

I have further question, I attempted to record a DVD on a VCR tape and the playback was a poor picture and humming. I could adjust the VCR head tracking to eliminate the humming but only to worsen the picture and vice-versa is this created by some sort of anti copying defence mechanism created by the DVD people? If so, can it be got around?

I look forward to some advice on what are probably quite basic questions, Thanks in adavance - Phil

2. Bret Pritchett

Bret Pritchett Stunt Coordinator

3. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer