What's new

Advice needed on "Justice League" DVDs (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I have a friend who keeps telling me how much I'd like Justice League. So I head over to Netflix and I'm offered the following five options:

Justice League
Justice League: Justice on Trial
Justice League: Paradise Lost
Justice League: The Brave and the Bold
Justice League: Starcrossed: The Movie

Do I need to watch these chronologically? If not, which are the best ones overall? Thanks.

Lee Jamilkowski

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe you should ask at the DCUA forum at Toonzone.net. There are all sorts of experts on this type of thing. Me? I'm still awaiting a (I know, wishful thinking) box set release of Justice League and Justice League Unlimited.

The DVDs are in neither exact production nor airing order.

not released (season one): Fury, Legends, A Knight of Shadows, Metamorphosis, The Savage Time

not released (season two): everything but Starcrossed

Joshua Lane

Second Unit

You don't necessarily need to watch them chronologically, but it certainly helps. In other words, some eps can stand alone, while others do rely on some knowledge of previous eps. Here's the order you would want to watch them...

Justice League (aka Secret Origins)
- eps 101-103
Justice League: Justice On Trial
- eps 104-107
Justice League: Paradise Lost
- eps 108-111
Justice League: The Brave and The Bold
- eps 112-113, 118-119
Justice League: Star Crossed
- eps 224-226

As you can see, there's a big gap between where the DVD's left off in Season 1 to where it picked up at the very end of Season 2. I have the feeling that Warner isn't going to be releasing anymore regular Justice League DVD's, but will instead focus on Justice League Unlimited. The first DVD for that is due out February 15th. "Star Crossed" feeds into the JLU series immensely, so it's important you see that if you want to get the JLU disc.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Joshua's episode order above is my vote. The other alternative is that you might watch them in the order the DVDs were released. I've included the upcoming February DVD in my list:

04/23/2002 Vol 1: Secret Origins
04/22/2003 Vol 2: Justice On Trial
07/22/2003 Vol 3: Paradise Lost
07/13/2004 Vol 4: Star Crossed
10/19/2004 Vol 5: The Brave And The Bold
02/15/2005 Justice League Unlimited - Saving The World

Jim Harvey

Second Unit

Watching the DVDs in the order above would be the correct way to watch them. However, please note between Volume 4 and "Starcrossed The Movie" there's a gap of about thirty episodes that WB has yet to fill.

And "Starcrossed The Movie" is a compilation of episodes #50 - 52, three episodes edited together to act as a movie (similar to what WB has done for "The Batman/Superman Movie" and "Superman: Last Son of Krypton").

There are more Justice League (as well as seperate Justice League Unlimited) DVDs on the way which should hopefully start filling up that gap.

If you have any more questions, ask away!

Also feel free to visit the #1 Animated DC Resource website -- The World's Finest at Link Removed

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I am still hoping for season sets like they are doing with Supes and Bats.

florence franks

Stunt Coordinator
I'm awaiting Season Sets as well. I figure if they dont want new viewers, better ratings for JLU they are on their own. I not skipping that many episodes to buy Star Crossed either.

Rob T

Screenwriter

I think they will once they see how well Batman: TAS: Volume 2 and Superman: TAS: Season 1 sells, but they should do Batman: Beyond before Justice League.

Randall Cyrenne

Stunt Coordinator
As for which are best, I would say that "Starcrossed" is excellent, and the "Brave and the Bold" disc would be next, chiefly for the other story on the disc, "Injustice for All".

I caved. I couldn't wait for season sets.

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
I'm holding out too.

I think they'll finish Batman and Superman before starting Justice League. But I think they will get to it.

Personally, I can skip Batman Beyond. Being set in the future, it doesn't fit as neatly and doesn't connect to anything in the comics the way the other series do.

I always felt Bruce Timm's attitude to that show was just to make the best of a bad situation. WB basically told him "Give us a young Batman show or we'll find somebody else who will". Now they're doing The Batman without him and brother does it show!

Oh and Justice League gets better as it goes on so don't give up if you find the first discs slow. It took a while to find its rhythm.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks