Advice needed on doing a free DVD giveaway

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Birchall, Nov 25, 2001.

1. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

OK, guys. I've come across a few copies of the Fox Demo Disc #1 which they gave away at Best Buy stores on Friday, and I'm wanting to do a giveaway here on the Forum. I'm wanting to do this giveaway primarily for the non-U.S. members, as they had no access to the discs at all. There are people from Canada and overseas (Europe) who are looking to get ahold of this disc.

I'm not selling the discs, as they are meant to be free, but I am not financially able to cover the cost of shipping and handling for all of these discs. I'm going to ask people that are wanting the disc to send me money for the shipping and handling only, and that's where my problem is:

How much do I ask for, and what form of payment will be easiest for me to deal with? Obviously, I've never sent anything overseas and I am clueless as to how much it would cost. I'm guessing that I'll have to request international money orders for payment, but I have had a problem with one of those before at my bank.

If you guys have any advice or suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,

-mwb-

2. Richard Cooper

Richard Cooper Stunt Coordinator

What's on this disc? I've not seen any mention of it before (not been looking tho... [​IMG]) but I'd probabyl be interested in one [​IMG] I have no idea how to get the money to you, unless you take Mastercard [​IMG]
    As it's a demo disc, with no resale value, I think that removes major tax burdens, and I think that posting something like a disc (is it in a plastic case, or a cardboard envelope?) would only cost about $2 to Europe.

3. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    The nearest Best Buy to me is over 40 miles..so if you wanna toss one New Jersey way....

4. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Matt-

I have the same question, since I've got about 6 of the DTS Audio samplers that I wanted to give away. The forum used to have a seperate giveaway section if I remember correctly.

I've never done international shipping before, so any other pointers would be helpful. These discs are in small sleeves, so they could be shipped normally, like a letter.

5. Richard Cooper

Richard Cooper Stunt Coordinator

Aaargh! Now I have heard and seen the DTS sampler in my local Hi-fi shop. Now I'd definitiely be interested in one of them!
    Do I get on the list 'cos I'm the first to shout? [​IMG]

6. Ryan_B

Ryan_B Agent

Matt,

I would just setup a paypal account and have everyone send payment via credit card.

7. Bill McA

Bill McA Producer

Everything you need to know is here
    As for accepting payment from Canada & overseas, you should be able to accept International Postal money orders.

8. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    If anybody does start giving out demo DVDs, i would LOVE to have one, and gladly pay actual shipping...

9. BenjaminG

BenjaminG Stunt Coordinator

Mmmmm. Demo DVD's. I love them[​IMG]

10. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Wow, talk about coming back from the dead.. [​IMG]