What's new

Advice Needed on Calibrating Overscan with AVIA (1 Viewer)

James Zos

Supporting Actor
I know my AVIA calibration disc has test patterns for setting overscan - I'm just not sure how to use them. Would someone be so kind as to offer a brief explanation?

And, is it possible to set overscan for 16:9 when using the squeeze trick on a 4:3 TV? I know I can set it for left and right, but what about top and bottom? Seems like you wouldn't be able to, because of the black bars ...

Any advice would be most appreciated!

James Zos

Supporting Actor
Thanks for trying to help me Terry.

I figured out how to set overscan on the sides when using the squeeze trick on my 4:3 set, but using AVIA I can tell that on the top and bottom I'm way under the five percent mark for overscan ...

So, once again - does anybody know how to set overscan when using the squeeze trick for the top and bottom of the picture? Is it simply impossible? ANY advice would be appreciated.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Yes ... simply measure the size of the circles to get the geometry right.

What you may find sometimes is that 16:9 overscan control is the same as 4:3. So if you got it right for 16:9, it may be way off for 4:3.

Regards

James Zos

Supporting Actor
Thanks for responding Michael!

I think I didn't phrase my question well, maybe because it is a dumb question in the first place. What I meant to ask is, is it possible to calibrate overscan on the bottom and top of the image, when displaying a 16:9 image on a 4:3 screen, via the squeeze trick?
Since you set overscan by extending the image past the actual edges of the screen, it seems it would be impossible to do so in this case. By definition you are squeezing the image down toward the center of the screen, so you can't enlarge it to set overscan on the top and bottom - right? I have overscan set at five percent on the sides, but there is NO overscan at all on the tops and bottom. I'm just trying to figure out if there is any way around that, but I think I already know the answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks