Advice needed......Moving from Cali to Maine

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Matt Butler, May 7, 2003.

1. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

In about 6 months to a year Im planning on moving to Maine or thereabouts. Im single, 29 years old and am sick of CA. Its too crowded and cost of living sucks. I live paycheck to paycheck and make $27K (est) a year. I need a change of scenery as well.

I want to know if anyone out there can help with places to check out, cost of living, job market, how much of a bitch it will be to move [​IMG] ...etc. You know what I mean. [​IMG]

I have done a bit of internet homework and am liking what Ive seen so far. Just wanting a bit of HTF input.

Be back to check the thread soon.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

2. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

I'm curious- why Maine?

3. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

Yeh, why Maine?

I have a friend that moved to San Fransisco for 6 months then moved back to Atlanta.

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    A fondness of Moose? [​IMG]

Actually I'd love to move to Maine, sounds like a wonderful state! But then I'd like to move to Alaska and live out in the woods too.

What part of Maine are you looking to move too, that's quite a trip from California?

Jay

5. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Useless Maine trivia:

Maine is the only US state that is bordered by only one other state.

[​IMG]

6. Matty P

Matty P Stunt Coordinator

all right, enough with the Maine questions! I love it here! [​IMG] Seriously though, let me tell you what I can...I am 25 years old, married since last August and my wife and I have been in Portland since October. (I know it says Bangor over there, just been lazy in updating my profile!) We had been living in Bangor for about 10 months and were going crazy with boredom. Portland has always been a favorite city of mine and there is lots going on here to keep you busy...plenty of live music (I'm a big alternative rock fan and the concerts here are great), performing arts, great restaurants, hell, you can go to a first run movie on a Tuesday night in the middle of downtown for $4! We live in a 2 bedroom apartment in South Portland and pay $750/month for rent, all utilities except electricity included. The job market is decent at the moment, I had been temping at my current job for 6 weeks before getting hired on last month permanently. Currently making $26k/year and I assume that goes a little further in Maine than it would in Cali! Since we were already in state the only moving costs we had were the U-Haul truck and that wasn't bad, couple hundred dollars if I remember correctly...had a bunch of my fraternity brothers help us move in so didn't have to pay for that either...and if you're looking for a good nightlife look no further than the historic "Old Port." Literally, we have the most bars per square foot in the country! (at least it was that way a couple of years ago, still might be!) If you have any other questions, feel free to mail me...best of luck with your searching! Later...

-Matt

7. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

Matty,
    I might just email you. Thanks for the offer. [​IMG]

Others,
    You were asking why maine? A close friend told me how nice it was (her family is from Maine) and when I started thinking about it and checking up on it it seemed ideal. Also Im not interested in the southern states and midwest. And the west coast is expensive.

Thanks and keep this thread alive. I want feedback.

8. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I love maine. My fiancee is trying to get a job at Jackson Labs up near Acadia when she gets her PhD. Maybe they'd hire me to do IT stuff too. Fantastic state.

Here are some pictures from my vacation there last year. http://roeber.com/pictures/index.php...0August%202002

9. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

Matthew,

I moved from California to Maine several years ago (I'm now back in the Bay Area). I enjoyed my time there, and in many ways, I still consider it a 'home away from home.'

10. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

11. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

Matt;

I am a native Californian from San Joaquin Valley (your southern neighbor) who moved to Florida when I was 27 - 8 years ago.

I too was tired of California. Mostly the job market and the **itty attitude many people had. Insane taxes were annoying too.

When I got here Nationsbank (now B of A) hired me on the spot for a job that B of A in CA had just said I was way underqualified for. At the time the pay was $22,000/yr plus incentive (about $10,000 if you worked at it)

I did VERY well there, not nearly so many qualified people to compete with here. Between promotions and selective job changeing my income has increased almost 20% per year.

I also met my wife, had 3 kids and build a 2 story 2500sf waterfront ocean access (by 20 minute boat ride) house for $300,000. (Do THAT in CA!)

There are plenty of things I miss about CA, like snowskiing.

There are some advantages in Florida, and some disadvantages. It is always warm, but I miss fall. Professionally it is good here, but I miss some old friends. Orlando/Disney is good, but retired snow-bird drivers are not. Etc etc etc.

Knowing more about you would probably help the other posters here to be more helpful about what areas may appeal to you. Being sick of CA is a fairly universal experience. Try being more specific about wha things you like.

BTW - for those who feel defensive about the land of fruits and nuts (CA) I'm sorry. It is still a great place to visit, but it isn't the right home for everybody.

12. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

FYI- when I asked "why Maine?", I simply was wondering why the move to that state. If he posted that he's interested in South Carolina, Wisconsin, etc. I would have asked the same question.

13. RussR

RussR Stunt Coordinator

Matt--

I want to follow up on Jay's question. Is there any part of Maine that you're looking at particularly? Are you looking to be urban or rural (or really, really rural...)? Also, what's your profession? This would probably help the Mainers and MIEs (Mainers in Exile) like myself to help you out a little more.

14. Jeremy:L

Jeremy:L Agent

Heh. My wife an I are moving from San Diego to Oklahoma City in about a year. There ya go, Matthew. That oughta take some of the heat off ya. [​IMG]

Seriously, it has always been my dream to own some land and have horses etc. For the price I paid for a 1200 sq.ft. 3 bed house on an 8th of an acre in San Diego, I can have a 4+ bed house on 10 acres with a barn. More importantly, I'll be able to build my dream home theater! Even though I was born and raised in Sandy Eggo, I've always been a country boy at heart.

15. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    hey!

I like it up here. Im 75 minutes from the Portland Airport (AKA Jetport). My town of Farmington has only 4 traffic lights and almost no crime. It is a great place to raise a family.

Please remember that while the property is cheap up this way, there is also NO appreciation.

Best wishes

Gregg

16. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Matthew, the one thing you need to remember to do when you finally settle down in Maine is:

Buy as many rare, signed Stephen King books as you can, and mail them to me! [​IMG]

Seriously, I have no experience up there, but plan to visit in the coming years. I am a huge King fan so Maine has always held some interest for me as a vacation site, but I haven't made it out there yet.

Best of luck to you!

17. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

I will try to get a couple King books for you Carlos. [​IMG]

OK a bit more about me. Im looking for someplace quiet but not too quiet. I dont want Sacramento but not BFE either if you know what I mean. Im a nice guy (some say too nice) so I naturally hate arrogance and rude people, which is one reason why I want out of Cali. I am also known as a "social butterfly" (a g/f of mine said that)[​IMG] Also I feel like I can do better finacially by moving to Maine. I want nice people, tranquility, peace, etc. Another thing about me, I do like music, film (duh!), basketball, outdoor activity, games (video, board, pool), people. I do clubs and bars once in a while but usually with friends.

Does this help at all?

18. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

I never could live in the cold. Anywhere that you have to own a snow shovel and USE it I'll never live.

My father used to live in Michigan. I've heard the horror stories.

19. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Michigan isn't SO bad unless you live in the U.P. I went to Michigan Tech for a year up in the top of the U.P. That's where it gets measured in feet most of the time.
    Shoveling snow is good exercise [​IMG] [​IMG]

The stories I have heard about California and Texas involve Tarantulas and Scorpions. I will take snow over those creepy creatures any day. [​IMG] [​IMG] That's why I like it here in the north. The most dangerous creatures in Michigan are probably the deer and the very rare a-forementioned moose. The cold kills most everything else. [​IMG] I've heard stories about people hitting bears, but I have never seen one myself.

20. Tim Morton

Tim Morton Stunt Coordinator

I think Portland would be a great place to start your new life here on the east coast. I lived in sandiego for 15 years before i decided that like you, it was just getting too crowded. no matter WHAT i wanted to do, so did 100,000 other people. I hated leaving work at 530 and getting home at 7, and that was only a 21 mile commute. So I sold my house and moved back here to New Hampshire with a job transfer, i have since settled back to my homestate of Vermont. I have a friend hwo moved out to portland Maine and whenever i go visit him i think about how much i wuold like moving there...it has everythign San Diego did, only 1/100th the amount of people and traffic. You didn't mention what you do for a living....but Portland maine or Portsmouth new hampsire would be excellent places to start. Two things though...rents can be a nbit high because good places are hard to find, and don't think that the cost of living is going to be drastically different out here. 27k a year is still going to have you living paycheck to paycheck...heck my wife and i earn 5 times that and i still am living paycheck to paycheck.