advice needed for optimal surround effect

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Daryl_hawk, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Daryl_hawk

Daryl_hawk Agent

ok, i need to be educated here guys. Assuming you had an ideal room, what is the ideal placement for rear surrounds in a 5.1 setup with direct fire speakers???? I have heard some people say up high on the wall, some at ear level, some say beside listning position and some say behing on an angle. [​IMG] Is there a position that creates optimal surround imaging experience???

Right now they are on the two end tables (these are bookshelf speakers) beside the listening position and below ear level. It kind of sounds like things are happening down low so I want to get them up but am wondering if i should get stands at relative ear level or mount them on the wall (at ear level or higher?....pointing straight out or angled down??)

Help! I need some educating here [​IMG]

thanks,
    Daryl.

2. RyanHud

RyanHud Stunt Coordinator

Hello Daryl
    im no expert or anything, but i think there are so many options because different people enjoy different thing. I think your best bet is to try different things and see what you prefer best.
    Good luck in your hunt for the perfect sound.

Regards
    --Ryan

3. Max F

Max F Second Unit

This has been discussed many times. Do a search using "surround AND height".

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
  5. JasonCI

JasonCI Stunt Coordinator

Direct fire speakers, or monopoles, should be located above and behind the main listening position. Check out these articles by Art Noxon, especially volume 4. They may be a little outdated but the info is still relevant for monopoles. He explains placement of surrounds,
    subs and more. In regards to monopoles, or "ambience speakers" as he calls them, he recommends placing them at 25% of the length of the side wall and 20% of the ceiling height down the wall.

http://www.asc-home-theater.com/ht-articles.htm

If you've got money to burn buy one of his sub traps while your there and let us know how it works.

Jason

6. Daryl_hawk

Daryl_hawk Agent

thanks for the links guys, I will check those out. I tried searching earlier without a lot of success but I will try the parameters you suggested this time.