Advice needed for new reciever purchase

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Dean.M, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Dean.M

Dean.M Auditioning

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum, although I have used it periodically in the past for research purposes.

I am looking to upgrade my antiquated receiver to one which possesses HDTV ( component / HDMI ) switching.

I am looking to spend between 1,000 - 1500 dollars.

I have researched the following models; the Denon AVR-3806 and the Rotel RSX-1056. I am also open to any suggestions you might have, as well as upping my budget to 2k if I can improve quality/functionality by going to separates.

I run my system off NHT model 1.5 speakers with SuperOnes acting as the center and rear channels. I use the system primarily in this respect; 45% HDTV, 30% DVD Movies, 15% Music and 10% video games.

I am looking for something that is versatile, high quality, and will be able to handle next gen hd sources ( ps3, hd-dvd, etc).

Another questions I have is whether HDMI/DVI will offer significant improvement over component cables. My HD-DVR and upconverting Denon DVD player both have DVI output. If this is the case, then I would lean towards the Denon AVR-3806 which contains HDMI switching.

I would like to thank you in advance for any advice you could offer.

-Dean

2. Drewbert

Drewbert Auditioning

Used stuff is always an option, you can find a rotel 1075 and a 1068, or even a 1066 (older) for a little under 2 grand... so thats an option....

3. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

I would lean towards the Denon 3806 especially since you own a Denon DVD player. I have been looking to upgrade to the 3806 with my 2910 DVD player so I have researced this subject at great length. The denon has a feature called game mode for your gamimg and switches HDMI for one cable hookup for both the DVD and cable box. I.M.O. there is a slight difference between HDMI and component, esp. with the upconverting DVD player.