What's new

Advice needed for new reciever purchase (1 Viewer)

Dean.M

Auditioning
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum, although I have used it periodically in the past for research purposes.

I am looking to upgrade my antiquated receiver to one which possesses HDTV ( component / HDMI ) switching.

I am looking to spend between 1,000 - 1500 dollars.

I have researched the following models; the Denon AVR-3806 and the Rotel RSX-1056. I am also open to any suggestions you might have, as well as upping my budget to 2k if I can improve quality/functionality by going to separates.

I run my system off NHT model 1.5 speakers with SuperOnes acting as the center and rear channels. I use the system primarily in this respect; 45% HDTV, 30% DVD Movies, 15% Music and 10% video games.

I am looking for something that is versatile, high quality, and will be able to handle next gen hd sources ( ps3, hd-dvd, etc).

Another questions I have is whether HDMI/DVI will offer significant improvement over component cables. My HD-DVR and upconverting Denon DVD player both have DVI output. If this is the case, then I would lean towards the Denon AVR-3806 which contains HDMI switching.

I would like to thank you in advance for any advice you could offer.

-Dean

Drewbert

Auditioning
Used stuff is always an option, you can find a rotel 1075 and a 1068, or even a 1066 (older) for a little under 2 grand... so thats an option....

mylan

Screenwriter
I would lean towards the Denon 3806 especially since you own a Denon DVD player. I have been looking to upgrade to the 3806 with my 2910 DVD player so I have researced this subject at great length. The denon has a feature called game mode for your gamimg and switches HDMI for one cable hookup for both the DVD and cable box. I.M.O. there is a slight difference between HDMI and component, esp. with the upconverting DVD player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks