What's new

advice needed for an ht newbie (1 Viewer)

Robert-Nes

Auditioning
First of all a big hi to everyone!!!!
Since i finally finshed college i finally got some money to spend.
I been doin a lot of readin on alot of forums for a good setup that will statisfy my wishes.
I got a couple days off pretty soon so then i can go listen to different setups.
So this thread is basically for reccomendations for some good setups.
well my wishes:
AUDIO!!!
This is the biggest factor i wanna have a great stereo sound for my taste in music.(mostly new metal, soad,drowningpool,disturbed, rammstein etc.)
So i want a setup that does good with this style of music.
Where the new metal fans at? give me some advice you guys :)
My second wish is to have nice ht capabillities.
I like to watch dvd's like 2 times a week or so.
5.1 will do no room nor budget for a 7.1.
speakerwise im gonna start out with 2 fronts coz i dont have the budget right now for a full surround setup, but i will slowly upgrade to a full surround setup.
Same goes for dvd and cdplayer, i will add those laters to the setup since i already have both of them. I got a dvd and cdplayer, not that good but they'll do for now.
Budget i got between $2000 and $2500 to spend on the reciever or amps.
speakers. bout $500 per speaker.
I got my eye on a rotel or nad set, coz of their no nonsense filosofy.
I dont need 50 dsp modes and you know what.
The looks are great. And i read lotsa good reviews.
Other recommendations are always welcome
for speakers i was thinkin bout a set off b&w 603 s3 or 604 s3.
any other reccomendations?
Now should i get with an all in one reciever, or should i be looking for a preamp-poweramp setup?
Just let me hear some of your views the more the merrier.
sorry for the long post, i hope it won be to hard to read through.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
I would say that if your first concern is music, start out with a good integrated amp with an ssp passthrough so that you can integrate into your system later on. If you want the flexibility or seperates, then look for a good 2 channel amp and a good pre with an ssp loop (like anthem, rotel, etc). As for speakers, you should definately be looking for a good set of bookshelves which you can change to rears once you go 5.1/7.1. If you need as much bass as possible, look into an svs, adire rava, or hsu vtf2 for you low extension needs. There are tons of choices, and depending on where you live, I would try auditioning as much stuff as possible before making any decisions. Hope this helped

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
Klipsch! Perfect for the types of music you are into. Also a good stereo power amplifier is worth its weight in gold.

I am actually still in school with a limited budget myself. I have had great luck on the used markets. The good stuff is built to last. For $2500 you could get a used 5 channel amp (or a 2 and 3) and processor like the lexicon dc-1 that does dd, dts, thx. Something to think about. It will offer higher performance than one of the all in one boxes. I don't think the risk is that great either as long as you do you homework. The build quality on most of these components is great.

If you do decide to buy a new receiver than this is the place to get info. Start a specific thread and bang. Good luck

-rob

Winston_T

Agent
Have you considered "re-weighting" your ratios of costs? If you do a search on some of the threads on there (here and avsforum) you will find some advice. Not saying you are wrong at all, but with $2000-$2500 on a int/rec/amp and $500 for speakers, that seems unbalanced to me.

Your total cost seems to be about $5000 (2000+ 6 x $500).

I think about $1000 on the processor/amp and $3500 on speakers, and the other $500 on wires (audio and video) is a good base. Modify as needed. This is ROUGH.

By saying $500 a speaker... that does (pretty much) limit you to bookshelfs.... but a $2000-$2500 receiver.

just my opinion.

Some names as you know are NHT, PSB, Klipsch, Paradigm, Swans Diva and Onix Rockets (from av123), B&W. Knowing your "preference", I'd say JMLabs (for what you want) are out at your price range, but take a listen anyways. To _me_ the stuff really shines on classical, but the lower cost stuff doesn't do rock as well, as say NHT.

Robert-Nes

Auditioning
thanks for the good tips winston.

Yeah you're where right its unbalanced.
Im actually thinkbout gettin used speakers, yes the models are older and used but then i get a more quality speaker for the price of a new lower quality speaker.
I still need to figure it all out what im gonna, but theres no rush so, i just keep readin the boards for advice and go listen in the shops.

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
The new Stereophile has a pair of favorably reviewed Athena floorstanders for $599 a pair. Those would be worth looking into. The article said that with good electronics they can perform well above their price range. (Stereophile does not sugar coat either)

-rob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks