Advice Needed: About to buy TWO new TVs... would love your opinions.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Frank_M, Jun 21, 2002.

1. Frank_M

Frank_M Stunt Coordinator

Hi all.

Thinking of taking advantage of a 10% off coupon at BB and buying a KV-32HS500... which is the NEW 32 HTDV Ready Wega (right?).

They've got it for $1,499.

We're also thinking about a 27 Wega (KV-27FS13) for the bedroom. That's priced at $549.

For the bedroom set, we'd just like a nice flatscreen 27. No need for HDTV. This fits the bill, right?

As for the main screen... can't fit a 36, so 32 is it. And I'll be hooking it up to my Panasonic RV-80 DVD player. I can do that through component cables. So I was thinking I can wait on upgrading to a Progressive Scan player for a while?

Our watching habits are probably 45% DIRECTV (via DirecTivo), 45% DVD, and 10% VHS. If that helps.

Anyway, I'd appreciate your advice on the two sets, as well as how pressing the need would be to upgrade the DVD player.

I know technology moves fast... and you have to just jump in. But I'd like to feel secure that I'd be able to enjoy these sets for some time to come.

Thanks!

Oh, and its like a 6' run from DVD to TV... any advice on reasonably priced component cables at that length?

2. Thomas_P

Thomas_P Agent

Good choices. I saw the hs500 at Best Buy and am counting the days till the 36 comes out. I wish Sony would have saved us 200 dollars by excluding the memory stick port. Great choice though. 36fs13 sounds goood too. My friend has one and its a solid set. I didn't see a single of the infamous geometry problems. As for the DVD player, Sony has a Progressive Scan for 200. I'm not sure about the model number, but it is highly rated. You can always put the Panny in the bedroom. Waiting for a while wouldn't be a bad move, especially with the uncertainty of DVD-A and SACD. As for component cables, just sta away from the 100$+ monster cables. Check out Radio Shack and their high end cables at 2m for 50 i think.

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Frank,
    That HS-500 has "cinemotion" 3/2 pulldown for film based stuff from dvd, so a progressive scan player is not an immediate must/have item. Most Sony owners see very little difference between progressive and interlaced dvd input.

4. Frank_M

Frank_M Stunt Coordinator

Steve -

Thanks for the tip. I think when I'm ready for another player I'll buy a progressive scan... but this clearly means I don't need to do it now.

But I should go for the component cables over the s-video I currently have, correct?

5. Thomas_P

Thomas_P Agent

Yes, Component cables will almost be a necesity with the hs500. The difference is easy to notice. But for the 27, S-Video looks great.