What's new

Advice Needed: $3500 Budget for Direct-View or RPTV HDTV (1 Viewer)

KimchiHo

Auditioning
I can't seem to make a decision on my own. I was wondering if anybody here had a hard time deciding between a direct-view and a rear-projection HDTV. If so, what was it that made you go one way as opposed to the other? My problem is that I really value picture quality (plus for direct-view), but I also spend lots of time watching DVD's and a larger screen provides a better movie experience (plus for RPTV). Any advice would be appreciated.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Well for me the deciding factors were
1) i too wanted the best picture quality, so direct view was a better choice for me
2) in my mind size isn't such a big thing (especially since iw as moving form a 20") so in order for a big rptv to be better than a 36" direct view id want to go really big basically i didn't value a 43" over a 36" enough to go RPTV, but a 61" that would be enough of a factor. but alas even a 36" is pushing the boundaries of what will fit in my room.
3) my viewing habits realistically i may watch 1 dvd a week on average, sure there are weekends where i may watch 5 but then there are weeks were i watch none. but i watch cable maybe 40-50% of the time and play games 30-40% of the time. (HD sat is an upgrade for a few years down the road still waiting for more programming)
4) it is not uncommon in fact it is quite comon for me to watch tv on a sharp angle while i ma doing other things, most RPTV's you can barely see the picture at a sharp angle.

and finally burn in is a much bigger factor for RPTV's than direct view.

I hope this helps you, but like i said its jsut the factors that helped me decide.

Michael Lomker

Stunt Coordinator
The PQ and brightness will always be superior on direct-view. Most RPTV's just give you a lot of size for the money. Sometimes I get teased by my friends for spending $3k on such a "small" set but I don't regret it.

I bought a 34" Panasonic and a high-end DVD player but if I had to do it all over again I'd be getting the new Princeton Graphics AR3.4FTW and an HTPC.

Do yourself a favor and give that combination some consideration.

Frank Kanyak

Stunt Coordinator
Have you thought about a budget front projection system ex: Piano 3200 or Pan AE-100? Just an other option.

Brad_V

Second Unit
If you value picture quality, what's not to like about newer RPTVs? They look SO good now that I can't see spending the same or more money for a much smaller direct-view.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks