Advice Needed: $3500 Budget for Direct-View or RPTV HDTV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KimchiHo, Jul 24, 2002.

1. KimchiHo

KimchiHo Auditioning

I can't seem to make a decision on my own. I was wondering if anybody here had a hard time deciding between a direct-view and a rear-projection HDTV. If so, what was it that made you go one way as opposed to the other? My problem is that I really value picture quality (plus for direct-view), but I also spend lots of time watching DVD's and a larger screen provides a better movie experience (plus for RPTV). Any advice would be appreciated.

2. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Well for me the deciding factors were
    1) i too wanted the best picture quality, so direct view was a better choice for me
    2) in my mind size isn't such a big thing (especially since iw as moving form a 20") so in order for a big rptv to be better than a 36" direct view id want to go really big basically i didn't value a 43" over a 36" enough to go RPTV, but a 61" that would be enough of a factor. but alas even a 36" is pushing the boundaries of what will fit in my room.
    3) my viewing habits realistically i may watch 1 dvd a week on average, sure there are weekends where i may watch 5 but then there are weeks were i watch none. but i watch cable maybe 40-50% of the time and play games 30-40% of the time. (HD sat is an upgrade for a few years down the road still waiting for more programming)
    4) it is not uncommon in fact it is quite comon for me to watch tv on a sharp angle while i ma doing other things, most RPTV's you can barely see the picture at a sharp angle.

and finally burn in is a much bigger factor for RPTV's than direct view.

I hope this helps you, but like i said its jsut the factors that helped me decide.

3. Michael Lomker

Michael Lomker Stunt Coordinator

The PQ and brightness will always be superior on direct-view. Most RPTV's just give you a lot of size for the money. Sometimes I get teased by my friends for spending $3k on such a "small" set but I don't regret it.

I bought a 34" Panasonic and a high-end DVD player but if I had to do it all over again I'd be getting the new Princeton Graphics AR3.4FTW and an HTPC.

Do yourself a favor and give that combination some consideration.

4. Frank Kanyak

Frank Kanyak Stunt Coordinator

Have you thought about a budget front projection system ex: Piano 3200 or Pan AE-100? Just an other option.

5. Brad_V

Brad_V Second Unit

If you value picture quality, what's not to like about newer RPTVs? They look SO good now that I can't see spending the same or more money for a much smaller direct-view.