What's new

Advice, HT in garage (1 Viewer)

Donny_B

Auditioning
Hello all, I plan on buliding a 1 story house soon with a 3 car garage. Usually the third car stall has its own door. I would like to know what you guys and gals think about making a HT out of it. What are some of the Considerations? Has anyone done this before? Thanks in advance. DB

MikeWh

Second Unit
Hi, Donny. My 2 cents:

Are you saying that you're planning on using the space that would have been a third-car space, but making it a completely enclosed and climate-controlled HT (and without the "usual" garage door that it would normally have)? If that's the case, here are my concerns:

The secondary uses of a garage (corrosive chemical storage, for example) would be a problem for me. More importantly, I use my garage for wood working. Dust issues would QUICKLY rule out placing an HT adjacent to this area.

Other concerns: I'd hate to walk through a garage to get to my HT. Likewise, if it were on the other side, I'd hate to walk through my HT every time I went in and out of the garage.

There IS one advantage to placing an HT on the "outside" edge of the garage space-- isolated sounds from the rest of the house (if that's an issue). I personally don't care about the transmission to the rest of the house, so I'd weigh both the "walking through the garage" and the "dust/smell issues" to be more negative than the "sound isolation" being positive. But that's a personal choice. And don't ask why my garage smells. :)

Donny_B

Auditioning
Thanks Mike, I want to wall it off with the only entrance from the house or the garage (I don't mind)depending on the floor plan and of course money. I plan on keeping my garage immaculant. I care less about the sound escaping
:) I just want a place where I can go to watch TV and DVD's in peace. I have two teenage boys, one eight year old, and a wife.
I just want the builders to put up the wall and ventilate it. I'll do the rest because I wnat to keep the cost down. I think I could do it with the help of this forum....db

MikeWh

Second Unit
Well, see! You didn't mention the two teenagers and the 8 y.o. The wife tends to be a "given" here the forum.

(hehehe. Just kidding, ladies. My wife is more of a movie nut than I am! Does anyone else know somebody who can recite every word and sound-effect (including Toto barks) in the Wizard Of Oz???) :)

A haven space tends to weigh pretty highly.... I can't think of any other problems with it, especially with the moderate weather in Arizona.

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
Im sure Ron-P will post here and I hope he does not mind me pluging the ~ The Driftwood Theater ~ . Built in his garage and is one of the only "Garage Theaters" I have seen. Great job Ron!

I think a garage is a great place for a dedicated HT. Unless it is full of the other expensive toys... IE boats, cars, motorbikes, dunebuggys ect.

Good luck on you future Garage Theater. :emoji_thumbsup:

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Thanks Chris! :)

Donny, I used to have my theater in the house, occupying the extra bedroom. The garage is a much better location. Isolation from the house is a very good thing. I'm still trying to finish her up and so the current web pics are somewhat old. I've just decided to go in a revamp the seating, moving the couch to the back deck and the theater seats up front. So, it may be a month or so before updated pics are loaded.

Good luck!

Peace Out~:D

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
especially with the moderate weather in Arizona.
Mike has obviously never been to Yuma.:D

Heat would be one of my biggest concerns. You would need to provide a dedicated A/C system, and a big one at that. Garages are typically very poorly insulated --especially the door.

The bedroom we expanded into a theater was already connected to the house-wide A/C system (three 3-ton AC units). However, because of the heat load from people and equipment, we added a fourth unit ...and the theater has foot-thick R30-ish walls (perlite-filled CMU block furred with 2x4s and R19 batts)!

Watching a movie in a sweaty theater is no fun... unless it's that kind of movie ;) :D

Donny_B

Auditioning
I hear ya Dave, I moving to Las Vegas which is no better. I'm going to have to spend the extra dough to insulate it. No way around it.

Ron, Your garage theater is nice. I would to borrow some of your ideas.....db

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Thanks Donny, borrow away.

Living on the West Coast, especially very near the coast does have it's advantages. One small 12,000btu window style a/c unit is more than enough to cool the room filled with gear and 9 people. I did insulate the walls with R13 along with a layer of 5/8" over a layer of 1/2" drywall on the inside and a layer of 5/8" OSB over a layer of 1/2" drywall on the exterior. Over insulation is never a bad thing if you can spare the coin to do so.

Peace Out~:D

MikeWh

Second Unit
Mike has obviously never been to Yuma.
I knew I didn't say that right--- I was thinking that in a cold climate, you'd have to walk between a heated house, through an unheated garage to the heated HT. My father-in-law built a separate building from his house for his first HT, and he eventually stopped using it, because he hated walking out to it in the winter.

Troy Swope

Stunt Coordinator
Donny-B:

That is exactly my plan. (although it has been in the works for more than a year now!!) (ask Ron, he and I swapped messages re: the whole garage door thing!)

My garage is a two car garage, that has never had a single car in it, it has always seemed to be "MY" space for all "MY" things the wife wont allow in the house.

anyway, the project has started, i am in the middle of replacing the opener with a newer style that all resides above the door! (no track out into the middle of the garage) This should give me an additional 4 feet of space where the current opener would interfere with my theater plans.

I will post pics as soon as i get the first ones up. I am in NE Ohio, so i need both heating and cooling, however we just replaced the furnace/ac this past summer, and i over speced it so it would handle the new theater.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks