Advice from the "Buffy" experts

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Reuben, Sep 24, 2001.

1. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I'm a neophyte. Never watched an episode before. But now that Time Warner Cable offers F/X, I'm taking advantage of the reruns starting today to catch up. But now I'm wondering if I should even bother to try watching the new season about to begin on UPN. (It's the sixth season, right?) How likely is it that I'll be able to follow the new episodes without having seen the prior seasons? How much risk to I run of spoiling my first encounter with the prior seasons because of recent developments that I might learn about from the new episodes?
    All opinions welcome. Thanks in advance!
    M.
    [Edited last by Michael Reuben on September 24, 2001 at 03:55 PM]

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Well, the start of the year is usually a good jumping-on point, and this year will be especially good from that perspective - the UPN 2-hour premiere is specifically designed to introduce new viewers to the characters. So you should be able to follow along fine. (Coming into the season halfway is death, though.)
    As to running the risk of spoiling previous seasons... Oh, yeah, if that's a concern for you, hold off - two of the characters in the opening credits started out on the "other team". Also, "Buffy" shuffles its characters a lot - there were five characters in the credits for episode 1, six in the opening credits for episode 103, only three of which are in common.
    Oh, and those episodes on FX aren't syndicated, just second-run. [​IMG]

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Avoid the new episodes like the plague
    Theoretically FX should finish the run of the first 5 seasons in 20 weeks. Tape the new episodes so that you can then watch them in order, and then join in with the rest of us in February to experience the Buffytastic goodness first hand [​IMG]
    Jeff "Oracle o' Joss" Kleist

4. ChadM

ChadM Stunt Coordinator

I would not watch the new season, just watch the reruns.
    Although each season could be viewed separately, the show has been building from the first season. Each season there is a definite story arc, and then there is the buffy overall arc (which is the most interesting). Watching in order will only make the show better. Plus there are always characters that pop in and out. Knowing the background when a character pops in would be beneficial.
    Good luck on getting to know the best show on TV. I have been watching since the first ep and am truly amazed this show is so overlooked.

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

quote: Oh, and those episodes on FX aren't syndicated, just second-run. [/quote] I never get that right. Thanks for the correction; I fixed the original post.
    quote: Theoretically FX should finish the run of the first 5 seasons in 20 weeks. [/quote] I can see I'm going to need a lot of videotape to archive the new episodes. [​IMG] Is it definite that F/X will cover all five previous seasons?
    M.
    [Edited last by Michael Reuben on September 24, 2001 at 04:19 PM]

6. Jason Quillen

Jason Quillen Supporting Actor

I agree with Seaver, season 6 is going to be the best jump in point for you. If you can afford it tape season 6 while watching FX episodes, go for it. If you cant afford it, just watch season 6 when it airs. Of course a few things will be spoiled, but you wont know what lead to these changes, and I dont think it ruins the experience.
    JQ