Advice for take Energy Take 5.2 system

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikePeroni, Apr 3, 2002.

1. MikePeroni

MikePeroni Stunt Coordinator

Hello, after having this fine sub/sat system for a couple months I am finding myself wanted a little more punch and midrange for 2 channel listening. I have all 4 sats wall mounted about 6 feet high on brackets, and Im wondering if taking the front two down and putting them on stands and moving them out away from the wall a foot or two(even though they are front ported) will help imaging and midrange.
    Ive also debated whether to get some towers for the front. My salesman at Stereoland in Canada has recommended PSB Image 4T, or the new Energy C5. However even though both towers have aluminum tweeters, will they timbre match with the Take 5.2 surrounds and center? Or do take the Take 5.2 back and get the PSB Image 4s, with the small PSB Alpha for the rears... Please help as Im confused over all these options. Thanks alot, Mike[​IMG]

2. Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette Supporting Actor

Hi Mike. I see you're in Canton. I'm just a bit west of you, in the Irish Hills. I'm in the same situation you're in. I've been using an Energy sat/sub combo for quite a while now. I haven't found anything that will fill in the missing midrange while listening to music. Movies sound nice, but music can be downright painful at times. I'm also considiering taking that trip to Canada and upgrading to some decent towers.

3. MikePeroni

OK, Just got off the phone with the salesguy. He can hook me up with the PSB Image 4Ts, PSB Alpha Intros(surrounds),and the PSB 8C Center channel. The total package is around $850.00 US.

If I can get my cash back for the Take 5.2 set - $550.00, is it worth the 300.00 extra to go the PSB route??

Thanks guys, Mike

-- By the way, the PSB package is without a sub, but the Image 4Ts go down to 40 hz , and I have an old JBL 12" sub that will be fine for movies.

4. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

Mike,

The rear sats are good for placement at 6ft high, but you won't get diddly (even Bo) out of the front L & R without putting them at ear level. I've heard the original Take 5's hooked up both ways and they lose ALOT at higher than 4 feet, either on a bracket or a stand. And they do much better away from the wall. I have my rears on a shelf mounted about 7 feet high and they work well, but the front are at about 3 feet high and they work much better there than wall mounted, like at the dealer.

As mentioned above, they won't be a musical genius, but hold their own okay. For HT, though, you should be getting some pretty stellar sound. I've heard good things about the PSB, and if you are looking for great music, I'm sure they are fine. However, they tend to be warmer/not so bright sounding as the Energy's. Good luck!

Matt

5. MikePeroni

Matt, thanks for the advice, do you have them on them on the Take 2 stands?? How sturdy are they? Also, Im thinking about upgrading my Home Depot wire. Let me know what kind of wire/receiver your using.. Thanks, Mike

6. MikePeroni

Hey all, just called a competitor of Stereoland in Windsor. They can do the above PSB package for $800.00 US. So now Im lookin' at only 250.00 more then Take 5.2s...Any opinions?? Id like to decide tonight and go to Windsor tomorrow!! ...Thanks Mike

7. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

Mike,

I've owned the Take 5 system (not 5.2) for some time now. I can tell you that they just don't do music justice. They are great for movies, though. I had the fronts on the stands about < 4 feet off the ground (actually, at ear level), a good distance from the wall. They just don't cut it. Don't get me wrong: they do a phenomenal job given their size and price for movies. But for music, they're just too thin. No lower midrange at all.

So once I got frustrated and wanted 2 channel, I added a second set of mains, for 2 channel only, different brand. Of course, that lead to adding a matching center for the mains. The only thing which has stopped me from replacing the surrounds is placement in my room. It's a hobby which will chew you up whole. But I digress.

*IF* the PSB's are more musical for 2 channel, *AND* you think you'll be happy with them long term, then I'd suggest getting them instead.

BTW I strongly doubt the C5's will timbre match with he Take 5 center.

Another course of action you might follow is to keep the Take 5 for HT, and use them for music for now. Later, add 2 new mains for music use only. That way, you can save some more money, and you'll have your pick of brands (instead of being locked into Energy or PSB) for music enjoyment.

Good luck!

Martin.

8. Jimmy P

Jimmy P Stunt Coordinator

I have read complaints on other sites similar to what you have posted,there was overwhelming recommendation to not use the receiver sub out,set mains as large,no sub,use speaker wire to the sub use the subs X-over,run speaker wire from the sub to the mains,this method of hook up was said to make the speakers come alive,give it a try,at this point its cheaper than new speakers.

9. MikePeroni

Well, I tried the following: Set 'fronts' on receiver to 'large', sub 'off' and ran one set of wires from front L/R on receiver to the front Sats, and another set of wires from front L/R on receiver to the 'Input' on the sub.

Will this method produce the same results as the suggestion by Jim above? Now I can use the Subs x-over and tweak it more, however, if I plug another sub into the sub-out jack (for LFE, in movies) and set sub 'on' in the receiver menu, will it be any better/different??

Called Energys tech line and was told that all of their speaker lines use the same tweeter material, so even though the driver of tower wouldnt match the Takes, the tweets would match, and the tonality should be very close...

Mike-