Advice for slightly used Pre/Pro

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Burkstrand, Nov 18, 2002.

1. Mike Burkstrand

Mike Burkstrand Auditioning

Hi All,

I will be setting up a new Home Theater early next year (depending on my stock options!) and want to get into separates for my pre/pro and power Amps. I currently have a Marantz Sr-5000, but after listening to some separates, the Marantz sounds pretty flat. My requirements for a pre/pro include:
    THX (not necessarily Ultra)
    DDS/Prologic

I would like to purchase a used pre/pro, and don't necessarily need 6.1/7.1, and all of the new features available. I would like to spend no more than $2,500. Names I have looked at are Lexicon, Anthem, EAD, etc, but don't know what some of their previous machines were named. The Anthem AV20 looks very nice, but expensive at $3,500. Any recommendations or suggestions on where to start?

Thanks in advance for your help/suggestions.

Mike

2. Shara

Shara Auditioning

Outlaw 950+multi channel amp will do well for home theater.
    You can later add 2 channel pre for improved stereo quality. spend your money on high quality speakers, amp, and source.

3. Gregg_M

Gregg_M Stunt Coordinator

You should probably look at rotel seperates as well. I just went from a marantz sr7000 to a Rotel 1066 and rmb1075 and the sound is night and day.

Gregg

4. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

Your post reads $2500 for the pre/pro only. Is that right? Or are you looking to get amps with that as well?
    If you have a seperate budget for power amplifiers and have $2500 for the pre/pro than I would look very hard at Proceed. The PAV/PDSD or AVP (in that order) are both excellent choices and can be had in the 2k range. In terms of sound quality they are un-touchable in comparison to the names you mentioned.
    Make sure you do your homework regardless[​IMG]
    good luck
    -rob

5. Shara

Shara Auditioning

I have tried many one box solution PRE/PRO priced from Outlaw 950 to MC-12. I have not found one box unit that will do both 2 channel and processing really well in both
    conditions. I have learned that most new PREprocessors do really well in home theater using 6.1 or 7.1 setup.Its the
    2 channel stereo quality that's larking in most processors.
    I am using separate Audio Research for stereo sound and its great value compare to one box solution.

6. Mike Burkstrand

Mike Burkstrand Auditioning

Much appreciated on the replys. Haven't heard much on Proceed, but I will check them out. I would like to use this Pre/Pro for both HT and Music, but I may end up getting a 2 channel pre/pro for music only. I also need to look at AMPS; is there a large difference in AMP quality from $600-$1500? Will I notice a big difference uusing a high qulaity pre/pro vs a low/mid end AMP?

Thanks,
    Mike