What's new

Advice for selection of new TV (1 Viewer)

DenisL

Auditioning
I went shopping for a new TV this PM. It will be used mostly to watch TV and maybe a DVD movie once every 2 weeks My first proirity is picture quality, my second priority is size. My preliminary findings are as follows:
TYPE: from what I understand, the new widescreen TVs (16:9) are very good to watch movies on DVDs. However, the old 4:3 size is much better to watch regular TV. Also, it sounds like HDTV is several years away in Canada. Therefore the 4:3 size seems to be much better suited to my needs.
SIZE: rear projection TV quality seems to be good on DVD movies. However, when watching regular TV, quality seems to be inferior.
From what I have seen today, it looks like the SONY 36XBR400 seems to be the best choice for me. It has proper hardware (for lack of a better word) to be able to handle HDTV whenever it becomes available. It also seems to offer
the best picture quality.
Is there any important fact I am missing? Also are other TVs I should be looking at?

Mike Buckles

Agent
I just bought the XBR400 about 3 weeks ago, and could'nt be happier. For the money, the XBR400 was the best set for me...the picture is stunning, it's a 36", DVD's look great on it, and it has a lot of really nice features. We watch a lot of regular tv, and since they didnt have a direct view widescreen in the dimensions or price I wanted, the XBR400 was a logical choice...it's large enough so that letterbox movies are large and clear. The 16X9 auto squeeze and DRC line doubler really make DVD's look sharp! Only thing, regular cable didn't look very good on it...I ended up getting Dish network, and it's great...I got the setup with the HDTV receiver for Dish...and I can tell you, I'm hooked on HDTV!! And this set gives a gorgeous HDTV picture..if this setup is available in your area, I highly recommend it to go with the tv...you won't be disappointed! Mike Buckles

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks