What's new

Advice for S-Video Connection w/Sony VX500 (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Josh Crackle
I REALLY hope someone can help me with this one. It sounds simple and I feel stupid asking but I need help. I'm picking up a Sony DVD recorder/VCR combo (VX500)tonight and I'm at a quandry for the best possible way to connect it. Here's why. I'm using a 90's model RCA 27" TV with only one S-Video input (in the back). I use a Sony satellite reciever connected to it with an S-Video cable (only has one S-Video out). Now, when I hook up the DVD recorder I want the best possible dupes onto DVD from the TV (satellite), AND I want to watch satellite with the best quality connection (i.e. S-Video). So here's the scenario:

I plug the sat into the DVD recorder (and for this DVD recorder, it means plugging an S-Video into the front panel jacks - "Line 2"), then plug the DVD recorder (out), (rear jacks) to the TV in, using a second S-Video cable. Am I on the right track with this? Will I still get optimum picture quality with both satellite and the DVD/VHS deck? Will I get a picture for both at all doing it this way? I'm worried about the Line 2 connection in front. Will the DVD recorder pass that signal out the rear to the TV properly?

I had a previous DVD recorder (Phillips, don't ask) and I had hooked it up with both the Coax F-pin cable and the S-Video and even though the manual said that S-Video supersedes the Coax F cable, I still thought the picture looked degraded. I don't want the same thing to happen with the Sony I'm getting tonight.

Any ideas...or advice?

Thanks!
Rick

OK, it should work the way you described it, but to watch satelite, you will need to turn the DVD recorder on. S-Video will give you the best picture with a standard satelite box. Make sure that the S-Video on your DVD recorder is an S-video (In) instead of an (Out). You will know this if you have 2 S-Video's most likely.

Any other questions, E-mail me at [email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks