What's new

Advice for new AV set-up in basement (1 Viewer)

chrischaos

Grip
Real Name
Chris Marquart
I am currently finishing my basement for rec room use. My TV is a Panny 58PZ750. I am looking for thoughts on Receiver and speaker purchase.
This will be used for HT (obviously) as well as music (most likely in the form of MP3 audio). My budget-$2000.00 for AV receiver, 3-4K for speakers/subs. Any and all advice is much appreciated.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm a huge fan of B&W speakers. You could get a nice set plus (600 or 700 series) and an SVS 13 Ultra for that price.

In my current setup I have Axiom speakers and an SVS sub that cost about $3500ish. Maybe going this route you could get 2 SVS subs. Pair the Axioms with a nice Denon AVR ($1200).

How big is room (LxWxH)?

Best advice I can give is don't listen to what I like. Go find what you like. We may not agree, but they are your ears
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

chrischaos

Grip
Real Name
Chris Marquart
Thanks for the reply. Room will be approx. 23X20 with a dropped tile ceiling at 7feet high. I currently have a Marantz 8001 receiver with EnergyC-8 towers and a definitive centre running in my upstairs LR (with small bi-polar energy rears). I am very pleased with the definitive product but not thrilled with the Marantz. The C-8's are older and i'm happy but i do not like the newer versions of Energy. Anyone using Rotel gear? I've liked what I've seen and heard from a few showrooms but would appreciate member feedback.

chrischaos

Grip
Real Name
Chris Marquart
After a ton of reading and some listening to equipment, i've decided a few things. I believe I'm going to purchase 2 M80's from Axiom along with 4 QS8's for 7.1 surround. I will get a definitive CLR2500 or 3000 (not sure yet) for a centre. The sub(s) will be handled by SVS. Question: Will 1 PC Ultra13 handle this all? I'm going to use my existing marantz 8001 for power but would like to augment it with a 2 channel integrated amp for the fronts. Any idea's on an amp. I looked at a Moon i:3 but think it is a little too pricey for what I require. Any and all thoughts, idea's, opinions appreciated.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If you get Axiom mains, you should get the matching Axiom center. The front sound stage should always be timbre matched (speakers should sound the same). What is the reason you want a different center?

BTW - I have the VP150. I really like it.

chrischaos

Grip
Real Name
Chris Marquart
My reason is twofold. After reading close to 60 posts and reviews of the VP 150 (both amateur and pro) it seems to have some weaknesses. Off axis clarity and such. I do not propose this is definitely the case nor am i stating it would not work just fine. My current experience with Definitive along with reading over 40 posts about the 2500-3000 model lead me to believe this is an excellent centre. Your statement about matching does worry me though. My current definitive matched wonderfully with my C-8's and sub. I was kind of hoping for the same outcome. I certainly realize the setup i've proposed is a mixed bag. I guess i'm trying to piece together the "best" set up i can (within my budget and tastes, and IMO only). Thanks for the reply, keep em coming

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It is very important to keep the center and mains matched. You wouldn't want something to sound different as it goes from speaker to speaker. If you don't want to get the Axiom center, don't get the mains. Go with Def Tech all around. IMHO, the VP150 is an excellent center.

The sub is not so important (to match). Unlike normal speakers, you can tell how a sub will perform from the specs and reviews.

You do get 30 days to return the Axioms (no questions asked). Maybe get them (and the center) and demo them in your room.

chrischaos

Grip
Real Name
Chris Marquart
Thanks, I'm going to have to give this some more thought. I do not want to buy the DT fronts (a few reasons). I'll repost when i figure this out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks