What's new

Advice for moving a 36 inch Sony Wega? Help!!! (1 Viewer)

Ernest Aguayo

Stunt Coordinator
I have to move from my apartment and one of the largest/heaviest things I own is my 36" Wega.
When my TV got delivered, I didn't envision moving anywhere for a while, so the delivery guys unpacked it and tossed out the huge box for me. Now, I need to figure out how to move it out of my apartment. Do I find a very large box and try to do it myself with some buddies and a rented van? - I still have the styrofoam packing, just no box!
If I hire movers, how would they do it: do they just wrap it up and put it on a dolly? That doesn't sound too safe. I am really protective of my TV so I want people who know what they are doing and are careful. I just don't want it to get damaged, especially that beautiful screen, no matter how it gets moved.
confused.gif
frown.gif

Anyone who has had to move a Wega have any suggestions? Any general rules of thumb or do's and don't's? (I am kinda in a tight situation: I need to move by the end of this month...)
Thanks for any help, everyone.
Ernest
[Edited last by Ernest Aguayo on October 20, 2001 at 02:02 AM]

All my moves have been local, so my strategy was this: find a capable buddy (for me any more than two people carrying it gets too jammed up) and another one or two as backup, heave the beast up and carry it towards my vehicle (taking several breaks by setting it down along the way), place into back of my Explorer, wrap TV in a sturdy blanket, strap TV down, and drive carefully to destination.
I know these things weigh about 250, but I'm not sure if there is a better way. The one time I used movers, this was basically their method, minus the Explorer.
Also,
-wrap up the power cord before the move, I almost had a catastrophe by tripping over mine
-these sets, like most tube TVs, will lean forward if you let them, so watch that
I know this is probably all common sense stuff that you've thought of already, but I thought I'd reply because it worked for me.
good luck!
Chris

Stairways can be really hard on the both people with this much weight, you don't say what floor you live on, a rented two wheeler with rented pads and strapped very tightly to the cart with glass and back to the sides can be a big help for the stairs.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The thought of just moving my WEGA within my apartment gives me the shakes. Those things are damn heavy.
------------------
2001-a.jpg

Ernest Aguayo

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the tips, guys...
Until you mentioned it, I didn't think having more than two carriers would get crowded, actually. I will be sure to keep that in mind.
Also, good call on the blankets and cart.
I am moving from a ground floor apartment to an apartment that is only up one small set of stairs, so I think I should be okay. The more I think about it, the TV is probably not as heavy as it really appears... or IS IT?
rolleyes.gif

Wish me luck!

Rich Boykin

Auditioning
Just went through this last month with my 36XBR400....
We had movers take care of it. They zip-tied the power cord and hand carried the tv to the truck. They had prepared a very sturdy section of the truck (on the floor of the cargo compartment) and placed the tv there. They then used cushions from our couch to cover the screen, covered the entire setup with a blanket, and then used these large rubber-band straps to hold the blanket over the tv/cushion combo. The tv was then strapped against the wall (screen side away from the wall) with bungie type cords.
Probably overkill, but they were very careful and thorough...They had moved these large trinitrons before, and I was very pleased. No damage at all! :P
Cheers,
Rich
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks