advice for mounting your own plasma...

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Ted Lee, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi all -

anyone here mount their plasma themselves? if so i'd love to hear any advice, stories (good or bad), etc that you may have.

i'm going to help a friend mount his above his fireplace. i know it's studded out on 16" centers, so i don't think finding the studs will be a problem. i believe he also accomodated a channel to fish wire through (i'm going to run component to the display...possibly a hdmi cable as well...but no audio), so hopefully that won't be too difficult.

as far as mounts go, i think he's going with a standard, possibly low-profile mount. he doesn't want a swing-arm or anything fancy.

anyway, just thought i'd ask around ... probably many things to think of that hasn't occured to me.

thanks!

2. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

You really, really, really want to attach to at least two studs. Depending on the size and the mount - are there mounts that'll link across three studs? The screens are big enough..

Some fairly obvious pointers:

1. Get a mount that allows, say +/- 5° rotation. Getting the sucker level is important.

2. Plasmas are beastly heavy. Especially if you're going high (like over a fireplace.) This will be difficult. In my experience, the best way to do it would be to build up a deck so that the three of you can all be working off of the same platform. Yes, I said three. Two to lift; one to maneuver, guide, and actually help land it on the mount.

3. Plasma screens do not bend. I know this seems fairly obvious, but chances are good that 75% of the weight of a plasma screen is in the metal strutwork that tries to support that bloody-huge sandwich of glass and gunk that makes the whole miracle work.

4. Don't take any shortcuts. If you skimp on any parts, the owner is going to be forever bugged by the one little 'thing' that didn't seem important at the time.

5. Take your time, and don't do anything rash: refer back to Rule #3.

Leo Kerr

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

good tips leo ... thx. i appreciate it!