Advice for Mitsubishi WS-A55 (BestBuy Model)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChrisMatson, Oct 14, 2002.

1. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Yes, this is another one of those "a friend of mine just bought a..." thread.
    Well, I told him to pick up a Panasonic or Toshiba from BestBuy for the financing (see this thread for the history) and he got the Mitsubishi WS-A55.
    I know that these are basically Gold series Mitsubishis with some disabled features. He would like for me to set up the TV (calibrate with AVIA, check connections, etc...) and I am looking for any pointers. If anyone has experience with this model, please let me know.
    Thanks,
    Chris

2. ChrisMatson

Anyone? Here is a link to the BestBuy page with a description of the TV. I can't find anything through Mitsubshi's TV page.

3. ChrisMatson

4. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

Well, I'll take some stabs here [​IMG]
    I have a 55311, which is the entry level Gold series that is probably the most comparable to what your friend has.
    IMMEDIATELY turn down Contrast to under 40%. You can adjust higher with AVIA later, but while you are playing with test patterns and such, get it down there fast. And don't forget, you'll have to do it for each input (Component, S-Video, etc.
    I highly recommend reading the owners manual. Mitsubishi puts out a good one that is extremely owner friendly and actually is useful. I'm no newbie to HT, but I enjoyed reading the manual to get the nuances of my TV down before I started playing.
    I noticed you said that you don't own or haven't had a projection TV. Being the first one that I've owned, I can tell you not to be expecting perfect convergence from a user level. An ISF guy can drill it down much better, but for your purposes expect a slight blueish (sp?) glow to white lines in patterns, etc.
    Tell him to realize RPTV's aren't as "sharp" as direct view sets on everyday stuff, but will settle down into something more smooth after a break-in period of 100hrs or so, depending on content.
    As far as set specific things, I don't believe that the A55 has a user disable of the VSM, but if it does, turn it off. You don't want VSM. Also, I'm not sure if it has the Manual Color Adjustments of the Gold series, but if so, you can use it to tame Red Push on 480i inputs.
    If you are not aware of "Burn In", by ALL means do some searching on this forum. It's probably one of the main things to be aware of right away. Education on this subject is costly in the form of having to replace a front screen to the tune of 800 bucks and up!!!!
    Tell him to spring for the progressive scan DVD player whenever he can. While the line doubler of the TV is pretty decent and will do for him, the players internal conversion will be much better for DVD's.
    One thing - congratulate him on getting the Mitsubishi!!! If he's happy, that's what is important.
    Good luck!
    Matt

5. BruceSpielbauer

BruceSpielbauer Second Unit

>>>> If you are not aware of "Burn In", by ALL means do some searching on this forum. It's probably one of the main things to be aware of right away. Education on this subject is costly in the form of having to replace a front screen to the tune of 800 bucks and up!!!! >>>

Excellent post. I would just make one very minor correction, in the interest of accuracy, if I may.

The phenomenon known as "burn in" or uneven phoshpr burn would only be corrected with a replacement of one or more of the cathode ray tubes (CRTs). Replacing the screen would not help. The cost can easily run $800 or higher, as you said, espcially since most recommend replacing all three CRTs at once.

-Bruce in Chi-Town

6. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

Good point, Bruce!

Thanks,

Matt

7. ChrisMatson

Thank you, Matt and Bruce.

I hope to get over to his place this week with my copy of AVIA. I told him to lower the contrast to below 50% as soon as he got the TV.

Is the digitial convergence feature worth anything?

I don't think he'll be springing for an ISF calibration anytime soon, as the main reason he bought the TV now was the deal on the 24 months, 0% financing.

I've tried to convince him to buy a dedicated DVD player with progressive scan, but he seems happy using his X-Box--for now.