Advice for First System

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Chuck_W, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Chuck_W

Chuck_W Second Unit

I'm looking to buy my first system, and I already have a TV and DVD player. The system will be used mostly for movies, but also for music.

Could I get some opinions on the following two options?

1. A lower budget system:

A. Yamaha HTR-5650 with Klipsch Quintets and Klipsch KSW-10 subwoofer (package from Best Buy for about $1000), or

B. The seemingly well-respected Onkyo HTS760 HTIB for about $500 less than the above mentioned.

2. Bigger budget option:

A. Yamaha HTR-5660 with Klipsch Synergy SF-2 fronts, SC5 center, and SS5 surrounds with a Klipsch KSW-12 subwoofer for about $2000 at Best Buy, or

B. Pioneer Elite VSX-41 with Klipsch Reference RF-15 fronts, RC25 center, RS25 surrounds with a Klipsch Reference RW10 subwoofer for about $2000 at Ultimate Electronics.

I haven't decided on the budget yet, so I would appreciate any opinions for each budget option.

Thanks!

2. John Brill

John Brill Supporting Actor

Hi Chuck,

Get ready for a deluge of suggestions and opinions. You are about to hear that Yamaha/Klipsh pairings sound "bright" and HTIB is not the right way to go and you should consider XYZ brand. Also, for $1000-$2000, there are litterally 1000's of options for you to chose from.

Bottom line, only you really know what you like. Listen to your options and compare with the competition. In recivers comparable to the Yamaha HTR-5650/5660 (RX-V540/640) you have the Onkyo 501/601, Denon 1603/1803 (or 04's), Harmon/Kardon 125/225, Pioneer Elite VSX-41 (or the non Elite 812/912), and a host of others (Marantz, NAD). In speakers, you also have just as much if not more choice.

Personally, I like the Yamaha. I actually purchased the Yamaha HTIB with the RX-V540 (same as the HTR-5650) and am happy with it but can see myself upgrading the sub when I move my home theater to a larger room in the basement. I didn't buy it at Best Buy because I couldn't test it there to my satisfaction. Luckily, a smaller retailer had it as an option and after listening to it and comparing it to a host of other options within my budget, the Yamaha was my winner. That doesn't mean it will be yours but you need to listen and make up your own mind. Also, I didn't want/need larger speakers, so I was happy with a sat/sub option (also easier to sell to the wife who didn't want speakers as "furniture". [​IMG]

Oh, also, don't worry to much about "specs". All of the receivers in this category will play basically the same sound formats. There has been many a debate in this forum with regards to watts per channel ratings and the like with no real conclusion. I hate to sound like a broken record, but make up your own mind by listening to your options.

JB

3. John S

John S Producer

I will say, that out of all the HTIB's I have heard and had experience with, that Onkyo always seems the way best of the bunch.

The reciever is impressive enough to make for a solid platform to upgrade upon if one decided to do so.

I have no experience with any Yamaha HTIB solutions.

4. Chuck_W

Chuck_W Second Unit

Thanks John and John for your replies and input...the response to my posting was not exactly overwhelming so I appreciate your prompt opinions! I actually decided on the Pioneer 912 receiver (the recent good reviews and auto set-up sold me) over the vsx41 (which seems to be bashed a bit as a "not so elite elite"). Since this is my first system, i also decided to go cheap on the speakers and play a bit until I'm up to speed in this hobby (picked up the speaker set that is included in the Onkyo 760 HTIB....the Onkyo SHS-HT510. Six speakers and a 150 watt 8 inch sub all for $179 at my local appliance/electronics store? Couldn't pass it up for a starter package.) Just waiting for some upgraded wires and cables to arrive before hooking it all up.

5. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I would recommend the Package 1 or 3 but I would change the reciever from Yamaha to Harman/Kardon or Onkyo. The HK gets my vote as for my Klipsch speakers it sounded the best with them, I found the Yamaha to hurt my ears a little after a while because of the horns.

6. John S

John S Producer

Sounds like a decent foundation to build upon if you so choose to me. Only upgrade if you feel the need, and even then only the parts you feel need upgrading.

7. JamesGL

JamesGL Stunt Coordinator

You can get the Quintets for like $700 shipped with a KSW10 sub at many online stores.
    SHOP AROUND! Avoid Bestbuy like the plague.

My brother has a quintet set up and they are excellent for a budget set up for movies but not the best for music.

8. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

James I disagree I have the quintets and I find them great for both. They get the lower-end freq. prolly to about 120Hz and then the sub takes it over for me.

Either way the Quintets are great with the budget and the floorstanders are another great option if you have some money to burn.

My final suggestion would be is both of those systems, whichever you have enough money for, and then go to a place like Circuit City and perhaps demo a few recievers. I like HK personally, the lower-end Yamaha's I think are just a load of crap.

9. JamesGL

JamesGL Stunt Coordinator

Like I said, they are not the best for music but that does not mean they are bad or even average.
    The Quintets will outperform many, if not most surround set up in its price range and they are an excellent buy for movies, and a great buy for music but not the best IMO.