What's new

Advice for eager to learn newbie... (1 Viewer)

Gregg Pearson

Auditioning
I found this forum a few days ago and my mind is going nuts over all the information to be had. I am very new to this game and am looking for advice like every new person to this site. After doing some reading, how does this sound for a beginner?

Receiver: Onkyo DS595

Speaker Package of NSP1's

Subwoofer- PB10

Will this be a good start? If not, please advise me. I am on a limited budget as you can tell by my choices.

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
im only about two weeks ahead of you on the learning curve, but thats almost exactly what i got, only i have the DS575x reciever. it sounds damn good to me, but then again, this is my first foray into this sort of thing as well. im listening to alice in chains' Dirt cd at the moment on 5 channel stereo mode. yummy

if you do end up getting them, buy the speakers from jandr.com or call them up. they will pricematch the 229.95 price from buy.com on the nsp1s, the sub is 199.95 and theres free shipping right now on jbl products

VinhT

Second Unit
The receiver and speaker package are excellent choices. As for the sub, if your main purpose is watching movies, then I'd advise you to read up on the Sony SA-WM40. It seems to be regarded as the absolute best for a budget sub, and costs about the same as the JBL PB-10. However, it's not so good for music due to its boominess(search for the Polyfill mod to learn how to tighten it up).

Basically, I think either of the subs will work just fine, and you've got a great home theater on your hands with plenty of money left over to splurge on movies.

Gregg Pearson

Auditioning
Thanks for the input...My next question is how difficult is it to set up all this stuff, once I receive it? I have a 55 inch wide screen that I will connecting this package to and what kind of cables should I use? I know these are really basic questions, but like I said, my brain is on overload from reading all this information. Also, any advice on where to get the best price on an entertainment center to house the components and to go around my big screen?

VinhT

Second Unit
Theoretically, none of the equipment you listed will be directly connected to the TV. If you only have a DVD player, then I suggest you connect that directly to the TV via a composite or S-video cable, component cables if your TV and DVD player suport it. From the DVD player, a digital coaxial cable or optical cable goes to the receiver. The signal gets decoded and output to the speakers.

However, if you have a VCR and DVD player, then you have two options. Use the Video 1 and Video 2 inputs on your TV, or use the receiver to perform the switching for you(select DVD as the source on the receiver, and the receiver automatically switches and sends the DVD video to the TV, and so forth for the VCR).

Everything is extremely easy to set up. The inputs and outputs of receivers are very clearly marked. The only thing to remember is the polarity of the speaker wire(red to red, black to black). That's pretty much it in terms of basics.

From what I can discern, if you already have everything set up(DVD player, VCR, etc) and you're merely adding the receiver and speakers, then you really only need two types of cable. A digital cable for the DVD player-to-receiver, and good speaker wire

Gregg Pearson

Auditioning
Thank you, I do have everything set up already and I will be only adding the receiver and speakers. Im sure it will be a trial and error session before I get everythng the way I want it. Im pumped about getting all these toys..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks