What's new

Advice for buying used reciever? (1 Viewer)

Paul Simmons

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys, I was looking to swap out my existing receiver for a newer one for some time, and this week, I came across someone who was selling a Marantz SR5200. At first I was a little spectacle, but I got to try it out and all the speaker terminals work, the overall condition was mint and the seller had the original box, manual, remote and reciept. There was even a warranty that's good for another 3 years! It's not a refurbished unit and the deal looks clean. We finalized the price to about $230US.

Does the price sound about right or should I pass for something else? Have I checked out everything? Anything else I should look for when buying a used receiver?

Any input is appreciated!

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
If it works and everything, that's a good deal.

But you most likely won't get warranty service. I have the 5300, and the Canadian warranty card expressly limits it to the original purchaser. If you have the receipt, though, likely you might be able to get service, though if it works now, it should work pretty much forever. And for a couple hundred bucks it's a pretty good deal. It is a generation older, so the value will be down significantly, but it should be a great unit. It does not list EX/ES as features, but marantz has proprietary processing that does matrix 6.1 just the same in the unit. They added EX/ES and ES discrete, along with CSII and some other goodies to the 5300.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks