What's new

Advice for a novice (1 Viewer)

Joe Z

Auditioning
I am a novice when it comes to home theater systems and I am wondering what to look for. Here are my parameters: I have a fairly small room- about 12’ x 18’. I would like to use the system for watching television as well as listening to music. I am pretty serious about how well my music sounds although right now I have nothing as my stereo went out on me about 6 months ago. I definitely want surround sound as well as the capabilities to expand the system with a few components. I don’t want to get something just to get it, but I don’t think I need all of the really expensive “bells and whistles” either. I want something that I enjoy and will be of good quality. My immediate concern right now is a receiver, and I will add speakers later. The receivers I have been considering have been in the $300.00 to $400.00 range. I do not mind spending that, but if I can get something less expensive that I will be impressed with, I wouldn’t mind spending a little less, but satisfaction is probably a little bit more important than $$. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am not necessarily looking for specific advice on brands and models, but more on what to look for and what price range to stay within. Thank you, Joe Z.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Hi there, Joe, and welcome to HTF.

The following is posted atop the main thread-listing page in the Basics area:

For this reason and since you're asking about which receiver to buy at that price range, your post has been moved to this area, Receivers/Amps.

The Basics area is for beginner-level general discussion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks