What's new

Advice for a new home theatre -newcomer (1 Viewer)

Zena

Auditioning
Hoping for comments and opinions for our specifics...
We just purchased a the Mitsubishi 48" HDTV widescreen (WS-A48) for a 14X19 home theatre room we are setting up. 14-gage speaker wire was installed in walls for 2 rear speakers.
We are struggling with the decision of purchasing a reciever, speakers, and progressive scan DVD player. Ideally, I am hoping for a 5 disc player for music when we entertain, small speakers that are not ugly (I'm a female, need I say more*), black to match other decor, a not-to-complicated system to use and set up AND lastly under $700ish.
The plan is to use this TV for DVD movies more than anything as we have the following problem at the moment. We are in a small rural pocket of Northern VA that still only has an analog line. What to do - DirectTV?
Opinions and comments will be greatly appreciated as soon as possible we want to make this purchase soon. Thanks! Zena

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Zena. Welcome to HTF!

Kenwood makes some budget systems that are suprisingly good values for the money. A few months ago I saw the Kenwood HTB-509 that includes everything you asked for, for $699 at a local Circuit City store. While it IS a budget system, it has all the external parts that can be upgraded later as your tastes/wants develop.

If you decide on one of the two sat providers (direct vs dish), I STRONGLY urge you to not buy the basic receiver package. Look for these:'

Dish Network: PVR501 or 701
DirectTV: DirectTIVO

These receivers have built-in hard drives that allow you to do something amazing: PAUSE/Rewind/Record TV.

I cannot begin to describe how much control this gives you. While these receivers will run somewhere between $200 and $500 they are well worth it.

Both of these services also offer HDTV feeds. But you may have to go to the "Audio Video Sources" fourm to read opinions on these.

Good Luck and let us know what you buy.

Lorenzo K

Agent
Zena,
The following comes to mind.
1. Pioneer vsx-d811s around $300 online. Check yahoo shopping. This is a very good receiver. It has all the formats dolby digital, dts, dolby prologic 2, dd ex, dts es. Gives around 70 watts per channel, 6 .1 and 7.1 capable. It is a very good entry level receiver that can grow with you as you upgrade. If you are not interested in 6.1 or 7.1, Pioneer's vsx-d711 model is slightly cheaper.
2. Panasonic dvd-cp67k $138.99 in www.etronics.com aftre rebate. 5 disc progressive scan player without the chroma bug.
3. Fluance av-htb speaker set from ebay $189 if you click the buy it now button. Its a bit big but its cheap and has some good reviews.
This comes out to @630 plus shipping.
If you find the fluance as too big, check out www.hometheaterdirect.com. Their level one is a complete 5.1 system that goes for $149. They also have a clearance for the level 2 set for $279.
If you can up your budget add a sony sawm40 sub. Around $150 online.
Check audioreview.com or do a search for the items in this forum for more info.
Hope this helps.

Blake R

Stunt Coordinator
You might pop over to AC4L.com and check out the speaker deals. I bought a pair of really nice AR's there at a fire sale price. They sale a full spectrum of home theater speakers.

I have been using Harman Kardon receivers since 1996 and recommend them without hesitation.

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks