Advice/Comments on HDTV purchase

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike One, Nov 5, 2002.

1. Mike One

Mike One Auditioning

I am interested in upgrading to a HDTV set. I have a budget of $6000-$7000. I have looked at the Pioneer Elite series and was extremely impressed. I have also looked at the 60" Sony Grand Wega (LCD).

Should I go for a RPTV or would a Plasma be a better choice? Also what are your opinions on LCD RPTV's.

The television would be utilized mostly for movies.

Any suggestion's are greatly appreciated.

Mike

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

If I were in your enviable position, I would stick with the technology that still performs best: CRT. Then I would pick the set that impresses me most. I would not purchase an LCD-based RPTV, nor a plasma panel.

I'd even see if I could wrangle a deal on a Sharp 9000 DLP-based front projector for that money.

But what if you happen to prefer something else?

3. Dan Ponze

Dan Ponze Stunt Coordinator

Depends on your room setup. I personally like the Hitachi 65XWX20. It's got a tuner built in, every feature imaginable, has simple intuitive controls and you'd get some change back. Looks great too. The Grand Vega would be my second choice but you'll need an external decoder box and although the picture is good, you can still tell it's an LCD on certain material.

4. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Wow, excellent budget. [​IMG] There's a lot of great choices for you. I'd personally go with front projection like Jack (though with a PLV-70HT), but if you don't have the light control for it, you have enough for something like the Mitsubishi Diamond 73" RPTV. 9" Guns will give you an incredible picture (1550-1600 lines resolved). If you decide not to go with something this size, you can get nearly the quality with a Pioneer Elite unit (which has a better scaler, better stretch mode, but lower resolution with 7" guns).
    If you wait a month or two, the Toshiba 57HLX82 LCOS based rear projection TV will be out, with 1920x1080p native resolution. No one really knows how good it is in comparison to the other RPTV's out there, or at least no one not under NDA's. [​IMG]

5. Mike One

Mike One Auditioning

Thanks for the advice, I will take a look at some DLP- front based projectors.

Mike.

6. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    If you are going to primarily watch movies, RPTV is a slam dunk no-brainer. LCD had trouble resolving true black, and plasma screens in your price range have screen door effect problems and you would be limited in size. Direct view is also limited to size and weigh in excess of 300 lbs.

RPTV gives you three advantages:

1) You can go big without busting your budget. Real big.

2) Projected image imparts a film-like quality. Coupled with line doubling and progressive scanning, it's like watching a movie screen.

3) Since the heart of the RPTV is a CRT, you can get outstanding color resolution and true blacks.

If I had the kind of budget you had, I probably would have been tempted to get a FPTV, but I just don't have the space for it. I also watch tons of TV -- it would have been super-costly for me to replace the bulb so regularly.

And on last note -- you can get abig, high quality RPTV with your budget and have plenty left over.

Hanson

7. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

If I had that kind of budget, I'd definitely be looking at front projection, a dedicated movies-only home theater with another set for watching broadcast TV.

Have fun!

Jan

8. Corey Holter

Corey Holter Agent

It depends on your room setup and aesthetic preferences. I don't want a huge box (RPTV)in my living room (more importantly, neither did the wife). We have large bay windows, so front projection was out.
    I decided on plasma. Given my budget, I went with a 42", but with your budget, a 50" is definately an option.
    If you're interested, my setup can be seen here;
    http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...papass=&sort=1

9. Antonio_B

Antonio_B Stunt Coordinator

I would say go with the 57HDX82 from Toshiba.

10. Joel Peskoff

Joel Peskoff Auditioning

"The Toshiba Cinema Series® 57HLX82 will begin shipping in Q4 2002 at a suggested retail price of $8,999.99." - press release. So, it is probably in your budget.

The only negative that I can see is that I don't have your budget.

11. Sawyer

Sawyer Auditioning

Actually, the Toshiba LCoS 57HLX82 will retail for $7999.00 at Onecall. I have the christmas catalog with this quote. The due date is the first week in December for production models, and the display model will be at my local Tweeter in about 1 1/2 weeks. Can't wait to see it person. [​IMG]
    Sawyer