What's new

Advice and questions on standalone dvd recorders needed please (1 Viewer)

Tel M

Auditioning
Hi all :)
I am thinking of buying a standalone dvd recorder, after some research I had decided on the Sony RDR-GX3 due to reviews and the use of minus r/rw disks that will be compatible with my PC writer.
It lacks a firewire card for my dv camcorder, but I can hook it up via s-video so thats not a major problem.
But, reading some forums, it seems the recorder is very fussy over discs used, and this is a concern for me.
Are there any others I should consider, I do need to use minus r/rw discs unless there is a compelling enough reason to upgrade the PC writer to a dual format one.

Secondly, and for me the most important question.
I understand you can record onto RW disks in a "VR" mode, which allows later editing etc. Can this mode of dvdr be read by pc dvdroms ?

Thanks in advance.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
On your first question, you'll find a lot of threads here about the various Panasonic recorders. They may be of interest. The Panasonics handl -R discs, but not -RW. Some of the models have a firewire input.

On your second question, I'm not at all familiar with "VR" mode. Where did you learn about it? Also, to the extent you're interested in PC compatibility, be sure to check the Computers and HTPC forum.

M.

Tel M

Auditioning
Yes, I had looked at the Panasonics, but the lack of rw disk support would be a problem for me.
I intend (if its possible that is) to record onto an RW disc, edit out what I don't need, and then hopefully to finalise it by copying the finalized RW onto an R on my PC.

VR mode ?, well to quote my source (what hi-fi jan 2004 issue):

"Thanks to the VR mode available on DVD-RW discs, 32 different levels of recording are available (between one and six hours of recording on a 4.7GB disc), as well as minidisc-style editing facilities: you can delete and edit any segment of recorded content and move recordings around on the disc."

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Sounds interesting. Do they list any standalone players that include these features? (I'm not familiar with any, but there are new ones all the time.)

To get any meaningful editing capabilities with a standalone recorder, you should look at models with hard disks. The general approach is to edit on the hard disc, then copy the final results to DVD-R.

M.

Tel M

Auditioning
I was afraid you might say that :)
TBH I was considering it because I can pick the sony or panny base models up for around £350 online, but HD models are beyond my budget :frowning:
I was hoping to have any easy solution to transfering my LD collection over to DVD, unfortunatley the PC capture method is too long winded to go through 50 films :angry:
I dont know any models that have this feature, I assumed from the read up all -rw machines did it :b

Tel M

Auditioning
Apparently the Pioneer 3100 (310 in the US?) has the VR mode for certain.
However, there is some debate about its picture quality compared to similary priced Panasonic models in SP mode. It is looking favourite for me now, it has firewire in/out for the camcorder, all the other sockets/ connections I would need (with the exception of an RGB in wired scart, but thats not a huge drawback for me) and it has one of my favourite badges on the front ;) (I already own pioneer laserdisc, dvd player, and pc burner).
The only niggling thing is the doubt over picture quality on recordings in SP mode (which is going to be were it spends most of its time for me).
I have seen one profesional review and 2 user reviews, give excellent ratings, but I have often found profesional reviews to be inaccurate for me in the past, and user reviews are, by nature, less discerning.
Having said that, its often touted how much better RGB is over normal scart, but I can't say I notice a difference between the two from my satellite box, though admitedley it is going through a scart switchbox too.

Bottom line is IF i decide to get a standalone recorder, the pioneer 3100 looks to be my choice, then again I might just spend the money on a TFT monitor for my PC or a DTS amplifier to replace my excellent, but DTS-less Yamaha DSP-A3090.
Ohhh decisions :b

Tel M

Auditioning
Well, I have now been to audition the 3100 pioneer in action, and it looks great, the downside was it refused to work with the DVD-RW disc provided in with the recorder, or another the shop had, but I presume the player was the fault, not every machine.
We got it working on a DVD-R and I watched the recording through a 42 inch plasma, and could not see any differenct to the source at all.
The only minor downside, is it only has optical out, not digital co-axial, but TBH thats hardly a worry.
I think I may well be getting one very soon, any-one which are the best 2x RW discs for it ?

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
As many know I'm a big fan of my Philips DVDR 75.

It's a +R +RW recorder and includes firewire, the ability to do screen-captured menus, among other things.

The picture quality has been great (copied Star Wars LD and it sounded and looked great).

I've had mine for several months and it's worked flawlessly, not a single coaster. Oh and it can PLAY both + AND - discs, unlike the Panny's.

Alfer

Tel M

Auditioning
The Pioneer (not going for the panny) can play both + and - too, but I need to record in - to retain compatability with my PC drive.
On a side note, did you need to have a video enhancer to copy the Laserdiscs, as I have around 50 films which could do with brining to dvd, I assumed the macrovision would stop me doing that.

Tel M

Auditioning
Really ? So I can back-up my LD collection to DVD no probs ?
Well I am suprised, but pleasantly so :D

Users who are viewing this thread