Advice and hints and tips for lice removal?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Philicia, Mar 24, 2002.

1. Philicia

Philicia Auditioning

Hello all,

I am new to this site and was wondering if any of you have any useful hints and habdy tips about getting rid of lice and keeping them away. I got lice for the first time several weeks ago. Let me tell you what a pain in the behind it is. Well my friend and I stayed up until 3:30am treating my extremely long hair. Well, needless to say it came back. Whether it was a bug that was left in the house, I don't know. But what I do know is that it is the most inconvenient and troublesome thing to take care of.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Philicia

2. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Some lice applications only work the one time you're using them and others stay active enough to get rid of any lice that are born for a period thereafter. I'd recommend getting the later. I guess their eggs or larva or whatever can live through the poison, which is designed, I think, to kill the adults. As far as your friend trying to pick them out, so many eggs can be there and they are practically invisible. Good luck. I cringe at the thought ever since my daughter had them a few years ago. Also, the lice could have spread to your bedding, furnature, etc. so take precautions in those arenas too.

3. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Oh, and Philicia, I'd like to extend a welcome to the Home Theater Forum.

4. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

So, you came here, just to ask about Lice? [​IMG]

5. Philicia

Philicia Auditioning

No actually I didn't come here just to post about lice. My brother belongs to the forum and is constantly posting and reading. But as I had to deal with the lice, I figured that as many people as there are that come here, I might get some good advice. It was just my first question I guess, lol.:b
    Thanks for the welcome![​IMG]
    Philicia

6. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

We had a fun beach-week, only to realize a few days later that our 3 yr old had the same malady.... Unfortunately she ended up with a serious buzz-cut and lots of over-the-counter shampoo treatment. They came back about 4 yrs later from day care. A lot more common than I ever would have thought.

Kind of like antibiotics, don't stop the treatment just because you think they're gone.... Good Luck !

7. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

here's a treatment i recommend to most of my clients. get a gallon or two of olive oil. lice absolutely hate oil and cannot live in it. this is why most african-americans never get lice...because their hair has more oil in it than caucasians. start from the front of the hairline and work your way back. naturally do this in a tub. good luck.

kevin t

8. Max Knight

Max Knight Supporting Actor

I second the olive oil method. I actually did some computer work for a two-person company that sold a video detailing how to kill the lice using this method. You can use the oil to smother the lice, and then comb them out. The trick is that since the lice have (like all living things) a life cycle, you have to catch not only the lice that are partyin' in your coif, but also their offspring that will hatch from the much harder to destroy eggs. I wish I could tell you the exact steps, but I don't remember it.

I know the first part is to totally soak your hair in olive oil and wrap it up in plastic wrap. Leave that on for half an hour, then comb out (using a lice comb) all the little buggers. If you did this every other day for a week, I'm pretty sure that you would kill all the lice and their babies before a second batch could start reproducing.

9. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Finally.....
    One GOOD thing about being bald.
    On the other hand, last week on my excursion to the great outdoors, I picked up some ticks, and I have been picking them out of the darndest places.........

10. ace peterson

ace peterson Second Unit

Julian-
    Ahh, you can still get pubic lice... Or are you bald there, too?[​IMG]

11. Scott_G

Scott_G Second Unit

One word
    Quell lotion
    Ok two words.
    Also - ask someone at the drug store nearest you. They should be able to give you a good over the counter solution.
    You should also wash all your linens in HOT water to kill any nasty bugs. Pillow cases, sheets, bedspread, etc.
    You have to kill them all or they will come back.

12. Sarah S

Sarah S Second Unit

The nits are the eggs that stick to your hair strand about 1/2 inch way from your skull & are the absolute hardest to get rid of. Tthe olive oil solution works 'cause it helps weaken the bond the nits have to your hair. If you do use any over the counter solution, make sure it doesn't have lisine (I think) because it doen't do any good. The lice actually do get immune to that prretty quickly. With any lice removal product, you definietely want to concentrate on geting rid of the nits.

Yes, I've done this a couple times. If I have to do this one more time, I'm going to go for the Sinead O'Conner look.

13. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

14. Max Knight

Max Knight Supporting Actor

I would advise against using any pesticide. All those drug store pesticides have nasty nasty stuff in them. Seriously, if your choice is putting something on your head that you would be happy to put on your salad, or something that has huge warnings plastered all over it about keeping it out of your eyes and calling the poison control center, I would think you would want to go the natural route.

And don't worry, head lice won't travel south, they only like the hair up top.

15. ace peterson

ace peterson Second Unit

Kwell is not available without a prescription. And secondly, you would need Kwell shampoo not the lotion. The lotion is for scabies. And actually Nix is more effective than Kwell at killing lice. (All be it resistance is becoming more common) The only reason Kwell is prescription-only is because it is associated with neurotoxicity to children under 2 years of age. And that is because it is absorbed through the skin to a much much larger extent than Nix.

16. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So

17. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Best way to remove lice is to get a couple of monkeys and.....
    Sorry, couldn't resist.
    [​IMG]

18. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

You need to get a medicine that not only kills the Lice but their eggs. The eggs are your real problems and the one that will keep coming back. The Oil works to keep the lice from being able to breath but it doesnt kill the eggs. Talk to your Doctor or the Pharmacist they will recommend the best stuff for your case. Last since it sounds like you have a lot of hair be prepared that you may lose some/ A lot unless you plan to fight this for awhile.
    Also you will need to kill EVERYTHING in your house that could have come in contact with your hair (Pillow cases, bed spreads, combs, brushes, Couches, chairs, Car headrests, etc.) They will all need to be sprayed down every single day and your bed sheets, pillows will need to be changed every night too. (washed and bleached if possible)
    Best of luck,
    KyleS
    Man my head is itching just thinking about this thread [​IMG]

19. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor