Advice about projection needed.

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Philip Hamm, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Lateley I've been paring back on the home theater stuff because my interest level has been waning for years. On the audio side I've gotten rid of my (MSRP $2000+) separates and gone back to an old DD reciever (MSRP $600 in 1997) which I'm 100% perfectly happy with.

However, my TV, an 8 year old Mitsubishi, just died. [​IMG]

I am not willing to spend a significant amount of money replacing it. I was perfeclty happy with the picture from this unit, and willing to live with it indefinitely. However, from searching on the web I think it may cost me upwards of $400 to get it repaired. This is not an unusual problem with these sets.

Give me some options HTFers. I need to keep the investment under $1000 (way under if possible). My room is light controlled and I can do front projection. I even have the power outlet int he ceiling, and I'm able to build a mount. I'm willing to use grey flat paint as my screen, as I've been very impressed with Scooter's white flat paint screen during scooterfests.

Used, new, doesn't matter. Great deal somewhere? Fix my set? That's an option, too as I'm very happy with it. I need to do this as cheap as possible. Picture quality is largely irrelevant, I'm sure anything will make me happy at this point. I am NOT a nit picking HTfile anymore.

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    check out projectorcentral.com for reviews and detailed specs on projectors.

Of course, the inFocus X1 is still a tough one to beat for entry-level bang for the buck.

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Yeah, I know about the X1. It's top on my list. It's got some wacky UI though - either you plug in S-Video or Component. It's either/or. I'd rather just have both inputs on the projector since I'd be running running S from satelite and LD and SVHS but component from DVD.

5. SolomonP

SolomonP Extra

Try a Sanyo Z1. You can get it new well south of $1k (shipping included), or spend $1k plus shipping and get an extra bulb.

I've had mine for a couple of weeks and even uncalibrated, projecting on a tan (textured!) wall with lousy light control, it's still amazingly great.

(I really wanted 16:9, lens shift, and a short throw--my wife and I are front row types, hence no X1).

(edited to change last paragraph to refer to X1 instead of Z1)

6. RandyMathis

RandyMathis Stunt Coordinator

Does your DD receiver have component and S-video inputs?

If so, you may be able to plug your sources into the receiver and use component out to carry either signal.

I have a Z2 but once upon a time I was dreaming about the Z1 because of the lens shift and 16:9.

If you don't care about 16:9, and don't care about lens shift, you probably can't beat the X1.

7. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

No. It has composite only - very old skool.

8. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

How does the Sanyo Z1 do with native 4x3 material? Specifically letterboxed non-16x9 stuff? Looks like the X1 is set up really good for a 4x3 screen with 16x9 in the middle. This is what I would like, massive monster 4:3 material with letterboxed 16:9 in the middle.

9. SolomonP

SolomonP Extra

If you want 4x3 to be bigger than 16x9, the Z1 isn't going to do it for you. It's set up for a 16x9 screen where 4x3 will be in the middle.

If you have non-anamorphic widescreen DVDs, you can just zoom them in using either the Z1's aspect ratio control, or use any scaler that is built in to your DVD player.

10. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I have non-anamprohic widescreen LaserDiscs, and plenty of 'em.

I'm 99% decided on a low end Infocus projector. The only question is X1 or X2? The X2 has 60% more lumens and I'd like brightness, but the X1 has the Farudja DCDi chip. I think the Faroudja chip is what I want for all my LDs.

I have not seen a DLP in action looking for Rainbow artifats. I may hate them.

11. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Actually, it's a little weirder than that, but better.

480i via s-video runs into the s-video jack
    480i via component runs into the same s-video jack via adapter

480p component runs into the VGA input via adapter

You can run both s-video and 480p component in. The only problem is if you want to run 480i component in, and s-video in.

I have so many frickin' devices hooked up to my X1 - trust me, connectivity is only an issue with 480i component.

I have hooked up: Zenith DVB318 DVD player and Gamecube, switched via receiver, to 480p-->VGA

All my game systems and VCR are switched, and run into the X1's s-video slot. I'm not really in need of 480i component input, but I do have the adapter handy if I want to use it someday.

12. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I don't have a progressive capable DVD player, and I'm not going to buy one. I plan on running VHS, LD, Low-Def Dish Network as composite (I know it's crazy), DVD as 480i, and possible HD Dish Net as 480P or whatever into the VGA slot.

13. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

If you're going to run DVD via 480i, you need a projector with a very good scaler onboard. Ditto if you want to run SD TV on it. The smallest image flaws leap out at you when you're running FP size. 480p from the DVD player really makes a big difference versus s-video at 80-100". Just an FYI.

14. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I'm planning on running component 480i on the DVD player. And the X1 has a great scaler doesn't it? Hence the Faroudja chip?

15. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I found the improvement with a Faroudja progressive player was worth it.

But the X1 does has a Faroudja scaling/deinterlacing chip. A lot of folks have been happy using s-video with it.

16. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I'd avoid the X2, I heard it has features missing that make the X1 great (X2 has no Faroudja scaler, not as tweakable).

17. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Thank you so much for the advice everybody! I love the HTF!!!!!!

Now how does Dish Network in HD look on an X1?? [​IMG]

18. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I briefly ran OTA HDTV from our local channels on my X1. It was for a superbowl party. Of course, our local channel was running SD upconverted to 480p. Looked like crap. I ended up selling the tuner because we never watch TV. But the HD I did watch on the other channels was beautiful - better than DVD. Downscaled HD looks very good on a 480p projector.

Yeah, along with avoiding the X2, the X1a is a Faroudja-stripped X1. Avoid it like the plague!

19. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Philip:

Order the X1 from Infocus themselves. They will let you try it out at home and return it if it doesn't work out for you. And with the rebate they are running if you don't have any problems with the "rainbow" artifact you really can't go wrong with this projector. In your light controlled environment the picture should be fantastic.

Parker

20. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Thanks for the info Parker.

Actually before I proceed I'm going to have a qualified technician look at my Mitsubishi 50" NTSC RPTV. If I can repair it for under $250 I'm going to do that. My local repair shop, who will probably be making a house call next weekend, think that they can do it for under $200. If that fails, then I'll go for the X1.

And a generous local HTFer has graciously invited me to his place to see his DLP in action to look for rainbows and if they annoy me.