1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Advice: $1,000 Speaker Setup

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnThompson, Jan 15, 2002.

1. JohnThompson

JohnThompson Stunt Coordinator

John Thompson
    A friend of mine wants to purchase a pair of speakers for his stereo system. He has a two channel Adcom pre-amp and amplifier (250 watts per channel) and a NAD CD player. I know this is a home theater forum, but I was wondering if some of you could offer sugestions. He will only use these speakers for listening for music.
    Thanks.[​IMG]

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

3. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn Supporting Actor

Colin Dunn
    I second the Magnepan recommendation, if you have enough room and amplifier power to accommodate a planar-magnetic dipole. These speakers need about 3' of clearance to the back wall to sound their best.

For HT applications, a sub is a MUST with the MMGs or 1.6s. I've managed to "bottom out" the panels on my Maggies when watching movies with really aggressive, bassy scenes. The solution: Don't feed the Maggies a full-range signal, but filter out the bass and send it to the subwoofer. The standard 80Hz THX crossover point is more than adequate for these purposes.

Maggies are also very revealing of electronics. I personally thought Adcom amps sounded too bright with Maggies, and preferred the Classé product line. The Adcom should have sufficient power, though...