What's new

Adventures Of Superman DVD Series Collection (1 Viewer)

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I just stumbled upon this wonderful color photo of George Reeves making a personal appearance in costume at a department store promoting sales of the Superman play suit. This must have been pure magic for those children!
39141764_2213246625413275_4689125421235568640_n.jpg

Another personal appearance, sans costume, at Christmas time...the comic book that George has autographed is Jimmy Olsen #9, December 1955 issue.
37511279_2213246315413306_3797654445840400384_n.jpg

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Oh, how I loved The Adventures of Superman as a kid! After its original run, it continued to be syndicated and seeing those color seasons were eye-opening experiences for me as a teenager once we got a color TV. I never lost my love for the show.

I admit now that I rewatch the series frequently to take me right back to the innocent childhood wonder connected to this show.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I didn't see much of this show as a kid - it wasn't syndicating on any of the things that I readily had access to. But I grew up loving my VHS copy of "Superman: The Movie" and my parents also had this cassette collection of "TV's Greatest Hits" that was a compilation of famous TV theme songs from the 1950s and 1960s. The Superman theme was one of my favorites, and I already loved the character because of the Christoper Reeve movies.

I started watching the show in 2006 when the DVDs came out to coincide with the theatrical release of "Superman Returns" (man, that was a good summer to be a Superman fan with all of this stuff coming out on disc for the first time). I'm still working my way through the different seasons since I've watched them irregularly, but they always bring a smile to my face. I'll go through a period where I'll binge half a dozen over two or three days, and then I'll put it aside for a while.

I think at this point I've seen the first three seasons in their entirety. I should pick it up again.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I think at this point I've seen the first three seasons in their entirety. I should pick it up again.
Well, you've seen the best the series had to offer if you've seen the first three seasons. The final three color seasons get sillier and much less violent. They can still make you smile, and the core cast continues to be great, but the stories are more threadbare. None of that matters to us diehard fans, of course.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I don't remember what year it was, likely 2004 or 2005. I'd just gotten married and moved to a strange city. I didn't know a soul. My wife needed something only Wal-Mart had, so I went (even though I will do almost anything to avoid the experience). While I was waiting for her to get whatever she wanted, I found THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN on DVD. Just seeing the box filled me with a warm glow. I hadn't seen or even thought about the show since I was a kid. When we got home that night it was late but I stayed up and watched several episodes. Soon I ended up getting the other seasons. Those sets got me through some tough times.

I won't say it's one of my favorite shows because it's not. But it's still a show that has a lot of power to transport me back to an earlier time in my life that I enjoy remembering. What's cool now is that enough time has passed since I first got married that my warm memories of the show also include what it did for me in the early days of being a stranger in my new strange land. So now the show not only has childhood power, but comforting power from an earlier adult stage, as well.

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Flashgear,

Great pics of George Reeves...never seen them before.
Here is one of my most prized pics. It was taken at Noel's 85th Birthday party in LA in 2005.
They were both so interesting to talk to and so friendly too.

John

Attachments

• Lois Jimmy..jpg
    Lois Jimmy..jpg
    365.5 KB · Views: 19

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The Adventures of Superman was an early purchase for me. So much goodness there. I'd seen it so many times as a kid that I had most of the episodes memorized and still recall most of what's going to happen as soon as the first 30 seconds or so plays. It's absolutely the video equivalent of comfort food for me.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The only problem with my little Superman TV theme story I told above...

The opening strains of the Superman theme (George Reeves)--also used when he was flying--is embedded in my brain and I probably think of it at least once every few days. It is probably engrained in me more than many popular movie themes.

...is that I'll end up "singing" it out loud (whenever I want to evoke Superman or am reminded of him in some way)...and no one else knows the song! I'm sure it's an age thing. But my wife has finally learned it from my constant reproduction of it! :laugh:

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Amazon had these on sale about a year ago and I scooped-up the whole series.

The first season episode “The Birthday Letter” which ends with Supes flying over Metropolis with the crippled girl in his arms still brings tears to my eyes.

I wholeheartedly agree that the first three seasons were the best!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The only problem with my little Superman TV theme story I told above...

...is that I'll end up "singing" it out loud (whenever I want to evoke Superman or am reminded of him in some way)...and no one else knows the song! I'm sure it's an age thing. But my wife has finally learned it from my constant reproduction of it! :laugh:

How is it possible that no one knows it?!?!?!!! What’s wrong with people these days???? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks