What's new

Adventures Of Superman Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I was 9 when I saw Superman the Movie. It looked so incredible after all those years of watching George Reeves fly on wires.

I still love it. The best superhero origin story ever on the big screen. And it’s pretty much flawlessly cast (perhaps with the exception of Jeff East as Clark - I never bought that he grew up into Christopher Reeve). Margot Kidder is still the definitive Lois in my book.
Reeves didn't "fly on wires." They started that way but at one point early on a wire broke, he fell, and was injured. He refused to use wires again so they came up with a "flying pan" - a partial body cast of his front torso and legs that was attached to a bar which allowed a crew to move him about. This went *under* the suit. He'd lay on it and they'd move him about. It gave a far greater range of movement than using wires plus was safer.

1717899227473.jpeg

If you look closely at some of his flying shots you can just see the outline of the pan under the suit.

That incident is also what prompted them to come up with the spring board for taking off (they'd originally used wires for that, too).

Last edited:

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I imagine Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster never imagined that a copy of Action Comics #1 that they created in 1938 would go in auction 86 years later for $6M. Hell, even if they imagined that Superman stories would still be told 86 years later, they probably never imagined that there would be people still reading the original 1930s stories 86 years later.

Back in the 80's I think it sold for around $25,000.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
In this area the Adventures of Superman came on every Saturday morning at 6, the first program of the day after sign on and the 5 minute "Morning Devotion." I'd get up early, around 5:30 or so, get a bowl of cereal, and sit in front of the TV eating my breakfast while watching the test screen (it came on at 5:30) with the sound down (didn't want to bother anyone with that 1000 cycle tone blaring) waiting for Superman to come on. Some years another episode aired in the early afternoon (before the weekly Tarzan or Shirley Temple movie).

Mom once commented that she never understood how she'd have to practically drag me out of bed during the week to get ready for school but on Saturday I was "up before the chickens" to watch Superman with no prodding or alarm of any kind. :laugh:

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
In this area the Adventures of Superman came on every Saturday morning at 6, the first program of the day after sign on and the 5 minute "Morning Devotion." I'd get up early, around 5:30 or so, get a bowl of cereal, and sit in front of the TV eating my breakfast while watching the test screen (it came on at 5:30) with the sound down (didn't want to bother anyone with that 1000 cycle tone blaring) waiting for Superman to come on. Some years another episode aired in the early afternoon (before the weekly Tarzan or Shirley Temple movie).

Mom once commented that she never understood how she'd have to practically drag me out of bed during the week to get ready for school but on Saturday I was "up before the chickens" to watch Superman with no prodding or alarm of any kind. :laugh:
Howie I get it, and thanks to modern technology i can watch an episode of Davey and Goliath then an EP of Superman, nice to relive those quieter moments, before adulthood kicks in.

cineescape

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
gregory
WOW! Great News! I never thought it would happen after all I've read here over the last two years about show and the DVD release. But like Warners had done with so many of my favorite titles, I REALLY hope that they will do their best to restore audio quality. At the very least they MUST take advantage of the BD format, which as it dwarfs the storage capacity of DVD, allows for use of way less video AND audio compression, thus maximizing whatever dynamic range exists from the original optical or magnetic tracks. Note that less than expected sound quality happened with the Warners Batman TV series BD edition, though in that case it may have been due to Fox’s all too frequent practice of trashing the original audio masters, as they did with numerous feature films-some which were even originally recorded in 4-track sound, such as “Inferno” (1953) and “Woman’s World: (1954).

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Randall, that's a photo taken on the set of episode S4E7, "The Girl Who Hired Superman", directed by Philip Ford and guest starring Gloria Talbott.

Tommy Carr directed 36 episodes in S1 & S2 and two in S6.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yournamehere004
Recent bookmarks