What's new

Adventures of Ford Fairlane and Buffy Season Six!? (1 Viewer)

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
According to DVD Times, the Ford Fairlane disc will include widescreen and fool screen transfers, an audio commentary with Renny Harlin, a featurette, Billy Idol's "Cradle of Love" video, and the trailer. Not bad for $9.98. The only downside is the ugly cover art.

Rollie

Stunt Coordinator
an audio commentary with Renny Harlin, a featurette, Billy Idol's "Cradle of Love" video, and the trailer. Not bad for $9.98.
No kidding! This is great. :emoji_thumbsup:

I can deal with the cover art, but the disc content being placed on both sides has always been a peeve of mine. I'm a big fan of disc art. Also DVDs tend to attract more scratches that way. But it's Ford Fairlane, so I can't really complain.

"The old gum on the earing in the lightsocket trick had never failed me. I'd never even tried it."

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I'm surprised that with this enthusiastic response you haven't all already gone out and gotten either the R2 or R4 Fairlane disks which are both nice anamorphic OAR releases. These have been out for now something like 2 years.
Isn't it puzzling? A good all-region progressive scan player can be had now for $150 delivered, yet people keep restricting themselves to region 1 only! We went through this same thing with National Lampoon's Vacation which was out in Regions 2 and 4 in anamorphic widescreen for years!

Jeff

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Oh hell yeah!!!

In the Fox Please Release Ford Fairlane thread from a while ago, all I asked is that it be in anamorphic OAR and at least a remastered original soundtrack (even if it's only stereo or DPL) and the Billy Idol Cradle of Love Video!

Woo-hoo it looks like the DVD gods (or at least Peter S.) were listening! :D

Greg S

Supporting Actor
EXCELLENT!!

"But Ford all we wanted was to be held ..... Well you got the BONUS package baby!"

Greg

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
According to DVD Times, the Ford Fairlane disc will include widescreen and fool screen transfers, an audio commentary with Renny Harlin, a featurette, Billy Idol's "Cradle of Love" video, and the trailer.
Yabba dabba do! :D (what a strange moment). This is the quintessential DVD deal -- if it pans out. The skeptic in me (which is happily a very small gremlin as such things go) will believe it when I see it (a back cover scan), but all signs point to a great release. :emoji_thumbsup: If they put all of the bonuses on the side containing the widescreen version (so we don't have to flip it to enjoy them; they can duplicate them on the P&S side if they like, but no P&S side exclusives, please), this just might earn a spot near the top of DVD releases of the year, thanks to the extraordinary deal-of-deals price tag.

Greg_C_T

Second Unit
The Billy Idol video alone would be worth it (what was her name???!!!???).
Well, Chuck you're in luck. I just researched that very question a couple months ago. The name one of the hottest women in one of the coolest videos (thank you, David Fincher) is.... Betsy Lynn George

You may now begin IMDB'ing. :D

Dean Kousoulas

Second Unit
Perfect timing too. My friend is a huge Dice fan so now I know what to get him (and myself) for Christmas.

"My hair...my hair!"

Ric Bagoly

Senior HTF Member
According to DVD Times, the Ford Fairlane disc will include widescreen and fool screen transfers, an audio commentary with Renny Harlin, a featurette, Billy Idol's "Cradle of Love" video, and the trailer.
HOLY SHIT! But are we getting 5.1 sound??

I actually LIKE the cover art! :b

-"ZuZu Petals? Never heard of her. And as to who would want to kill Johnny Crunch, the line forms to the left."

Spero D

Second Unit
an audio commentary with Renny Harlin, a featurette, Billy Idol's "Cradle of Love" video, and the trailer. Not bad for $9.98
This is indeed great value and 20th Century Fox and Mr Staddon must be commended on delivering the goods. Now if it comes with 5.1 that would be the icing on the cake.

Spero D.

David Owens

Agent
Just a quick bump for this topic as I found a (VERY) early copy today (the retailer shall remain nameless).

Not bad for a $9.99 retail disc..paid just a hair under $6 for it.

Haven't had a chance to view it yet, (will take care of that when I get home tonight) but it does include both Anamorphic WS (which will mark the 1st time I've seen this in its original OAR..thanks Fox!!) and P&S Chop-shop versions, but only 2.0 Dolby Surround is listed on the back cover specs. I guess Fox didn't want to spring for a full 5.1 remix (too bad).

Extras listed: On the WS side, commentary by Renny Harlin (sadly, no Dice), and a behind the scenes featurette, and on the P&S side, the commentary again, the trailer, and the Billy Idol "Cradle of Love" music video.

I'll try to post back with a few PQ and SQ impressions later on tonight. But so far...quite a decent little treatment of a funny as hell film! Thanks again Fox!!!

David Owens

Agent
Sorry it took so long to get back...

Now I don't have a WS monitor or anything, so I can't give too detailed review, but the picture quality is decent. A little bit of grain is present here and there, mostly in the nightclub/nighttime scenes, which may be a result of Oliver Wood's cinematography (see Die Hard 2 as well) . Colors were very rich throughout (although the red lit scenes in Johnny Crunch's DJ booth bleed a lot) The print used was in mostly good shape, a few specks of dirt were noticeable.

Sound was serviceable for Dolby 2.0. Certainly clearer than my well worn VHS copy. Still wish they could have remixed a 5.1 track..I would have gladly paid a few $$ more.

Just a welcome change to actually see the entire OAR image though...had gotten so used to the abrupt shift to P&S on the VHS copy it was almost jarring!!!

Haven't had time to get to the commentary or featurette, but did view the trailer (in fairly good shape), and of course the Idol video (forgotten how damn hot that girl in the video was!!!). :D

All in all...WELL worth it.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
My brother picked it up tonight, also for $5.88. Solid transfer, good, candid commentary, and passable audio (the best you're gonna get without say PCM or a 5.1 remaster).

Definitely a steal in terms of quality.

Lloyd White

Stunt Coordinator
Ah, I remembered this thread and saw the DVD in the 5.88 walmart bin, for a second I thought it was a prior release, but hell, with a commentary and an anamorphic Widescreen transfer, a no brainer for me at that price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks