adventures in road rage

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Philip_G, Jul 3, 2003.

1. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

So I'm driving today and I pass a cop in this 50 zone, they patrol this street like MAD so I'm spot on 50, and this dude comes up on my bumper and latches on, whatever I'm doing 50 in a 50.

So he passes me at the first passing zone and as soon as he tucks into my lane jams on the brakes [​IMG]
    So I figure (probably wrongly) that I don't want to play with idiot, so I try to pass him to get away (bad decision..anyway..) so when I'm next to him he swerves into my lane trying to hit me, pushing me off onto the shoulder, I blast by him and he latches on again. So I try to ignore the idiot and we come to a right turn, I stop and he pulls around me at the stop sign, and we both turn, he's in the left lane and me in the right trying to ignore this dude, and he's yelling something and motioning, and once again he swerves at me HARD, I move to the right a bit, he swerves back into his lane hard and loses control of his car, hits the curb, shoots back over to the other side and hits the curb [​IMG]

he didn't touch me, and the dude is obviously not right or has some anger issues, so no chance I'm stopping for this, in my mind this is a single car accident and I'm not involved, but I called the police and left the officer that came out on scene voicemail. My fear is the guy will come up with some incriminating lie and I'll find myself in a heap of shit over his own stupidity. SO what do you guys think, should I have stopped? obviously I made at least a couple bad decisions of my own, such is life.

2. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

If his car never hit yours, it sounds to me like you weren't involved in the accident. I'm not sure leaving the voicemail was a good idea- what did you say? You might want to run this by a lawyer.

As you figured out, don't ever pass a clown like that. If you do, you make it easier for him to intentionally ram into you, or follow you home, or get your tag number to try to track you down later. You never know if the guy is armed or high on something, & who knows what he might do? Let him pass you, & let other cars get between the two of you. I might even go as far as turning onto a side street (once the idiot car has passed the intersection) & going around the block to further separate myself. Hopefully he'll keep going & that will be it.

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I didn't say anything, just that I observed a car swerve, correct, and hit the curb.

4. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

He can say whatever he wants. Just deny it and stick to your story.

Remember that asshole that ran me off the road in a fit of road rage, then left the scene, but came back after the cops had arrived? They didn't arrest him. Didn't give him a ticket. Nothing. Do you know why?

1. No witnesses.
    2. No contact between our vehicles.

They considered him a witness to a single-car accident and let the f_____ go.

In your case, this particular line of reasoning is on your side. [​IMG]

5. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I once had something similar happen, minus the accident, where the guy ultimately cut me off and stopped me on my way into work. All because I was going 5 over in the right lane, and he wanted to go faster (yes, you read that right).
    I was able to see that he didn't get out with a weapon, so I got out, and as he's walking toward me, I calmly, but firmly say "You need to calm down, get back in your car and move on. If you come over here, I will beat you to within an inch of your life. Do you understand me?" I could feel myself going flush, so I knew I must have looked quite angry. Surprisingly, he turned around and left. I continued my left turn into my work parking lot.

I have no tolerance for jagoffs. Call it a character flaw.[​IMG]

I think you did the right thing, particularly with phoning the officer. I wouldn't have stopped, either, unless I thought there was a possibility of serious injury.

Todd

6. Marc_Sulinski

Marc_Sulinski Supporting Actor

There is no way I would have stopped. Who knows what this guy would have done to you if you had. I think that the police or a judge would understand that you feared for your safety (not that it will come to that).

7. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Sorry to hear this day-ruining incident, Philip. You didn't touch him, he was the psychopath, you're in the clear. Enjoy your 4th without remorse.

Todd Hochard, I applaud your stance - IMO, people like that who believe they can irrationally aggress do so because they've gotten away with it so long without reprimand (e.g., a good beating against themselves). Hopefully, as a result of what you did, you put a pause in the wacko's head next time he thinks about going off.

8. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer