Advent ASW 1200 Subwoofer. Trash or treasure?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by WilliamRP, Mar 17, 2004.

1. WilliamRP

WilliamRP Auditioning

I just picked one of these units up at a great price and plugged it into my Yamaha RX-V1400 with an RCA line, giddy with the anticipation of hearing thunderous bass. Alas, I have not heard a single sound being emitted from this monster.

Has anybody else out there had any experience, good or bad with this unit? Please describe how you've got this Sub wired and set up for optimal performance for both music and video.

Thanks!

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

I have no experience with that unit.

But we can try to troubleshoot it a little..

1)does it have a power indicator/LED light on the amp panel? If so---does it light up when the unit is *on*?

2)be sure you have the subwoofer cable connected to the proper jacks on the receiver(the subwoofer output jack) and on the subwoofer(either of the input jacks)...it is easy to use the wrong jack when in a rush to hear a new toy..[​IMG]

3)Go into the receiver's speaker setup menu and be sure that you have all speakers set to SMALL, subwoofer to ON/YES.

Does any of this help?

Tom V.
    SVS

3. WilliamRP

WilliamRP Auditioning

Thanks for the reply Tom! [​IMG]

Yes and Wow!!! I feel as if I've been living in darkness without a subwoofer. The clarity between the other speakers seems clearer and more crisp. The simplest thing, like a door slamming has meaning and presence. Thank you so much for the idiots play by play it was all I really needed. By the way, you were absolutely right I was in a hurry to hear my new toy and I'm usually quite slow and methodical in these situations... except when it comes to music and HT.

Much appreciated!

- Bill

4. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Have fun Bill,

Don't forget to take a few minutes to optimize the placement and calibration of the unit as time allows. Every room is different---but corners tend to work well(esp corners near the key seating positions).

Tom V.
    SVS

5. Ken.L

Ken.L Stunt Coordinator

Tom,
    You're right on about placing sub in corner near seating. My living room is small, 12 feet wide, and by necessity, the sub is sitting next to the sofa under the end table in the corner.
    Everyone sitting on the sofa watching a dvd with a good soundtrack feels those ground shaking low frequencies from the bottom of their feet all the way through their entire body, making for some very impressive home theater experiences.
    And the sub is only a cheap $80 Jensen 12 inch.