Advent AS2 Speakers for $74.99 - Good Buy?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Mical, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Kevin Mical

Kevin Mical Extra

Does anyone have personal experience with the Advent AS2 tower speakers in the link below?
    Advent Speakers at Costco
    The specs look decent, and they appear pretty solid, but Costco is not exactly known for their consideration of in-home trials [​IMG]
    BTW, I'll be using them (if I make the purchase) in my living room, driven by a Pioneer VSX-D709S receiver.
    If the consensus is that they are crap, I'll start looking for $400/pair speakers closer to the end of the year. Thanks in advance!
    Kevin

2. Kevin Mical

Kevin Mical Extra

Any recommendations for bookshelf/mini-towers in the $200/pair range? (I already have one pair of Paradigm Atoms driven by a Sony receiver).

3. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

I just saw these today at Cosco. They do look very solid, bi-wiring, good ratings but for $75 a pair, had to wonder.

I was trying to get some Wharfedale or Mission fronts but keep getting screwed on Ubid and my credit card company.

I'll be driving them with a Pioneer VSX-D850S, so in a similar boat as you.

Any word on how these speakers are?

4. PatSloan

PatSloan Agent

I just picked up a pair of these today. I figured I could return them if I was not happy with them. So far so good. I will be looking for a resonable center speaker to set with them. Any ideas on that?

--pat

5. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I bought the level 3 towers with the center and then saw the AS-2s at Costco too. I was very happy with the 3s but decided I just had to check the advents out. It was $150 versus $430 not counting shipping. I could basically throw all the power I had at the 3s and they could take it and sound good, but this was way above my limits. The 2s can't be pushed quit as hard, but still above my reference to -20 listening levels. I use them for maybe 98% HT and 2% music along with the level 3 center--Kenwood 504 mains as the surrounds, ct-150 sub and Kenwood VR-507 receiver. After comparing I decided to go with the Advents and sent the level 3 towers back. For HT they work fine for me at this time. I will never spend allot of money on speakers most likely except for a good sub--I would go much-much farther. Right or wrong it's my preference. If it were 98% music I would. They are laid back imo. A little on the muddy side. For $75 I think they are a good value though if they fulfill there perpose. I have always found Costco to be good about returns. When I bought them I did confirm returning them in a few weeks or so if I decided to. I definitely do not like to buy electronics at Costco but I did make this exception. For HT I think the level 3 center center goes well with the Advents. For a $140 I think this center does very well. Both are ported and similar specs. The center might be a little tighter??

6. PatSloan

PatSloan Agent

I am really impressed with the build quality of these speaker. I think you get a lot for your money with them. Mine came with spikes and had mounting nuts pre installed for easy installation of the spike. The spikes even came with little metal cups that are quite useful when using spikes on hardwood floors.

I wonder if a little stuffing will help the muddiness you describe? I did a little exploring last night and removed one of the drivers to see what is inside. The box looks really well constructed. With only a small amount of dampening material. Will putting more stuffing inside help this type of speaker? I have done this before on my sony sw-40 sub with great results.

Right now I am running mine with the sw-40 sub. They replaced a set of Advent Marble's as my main speakers. I am going to use those as rear surrounds as soon as I pick up some more speaker wire. Everything is running of my Toshiba SD-6109c dvd/amp.

Where is a good place to find out more about the level 3 center you speak about?

Thanks.

--pat

7. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I have looked all over the Internet and could only find a few sights, one that sold them. I would think they are new and maybe some kind of deal with Costco on distributing them?? Mine came with the spikes and cups you speak of to. If I turn my Cinema eq off it helps with the baseness on DVDs with lots of bass. I kept them because I thought they were pretty good for the money. The level three center can be found at --hometheaterdirect--. You would need some room to place it. It is on the large side. I really like the looks and how it performs for $140. You would not find it's equal for a $140 in a store---imo.

8. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

Kevin,
    I bought a pair of these a couple of months ago for a secondary system in my home. I already had an Advent center channel speaker that I picked up at Sears about a year ago.....it was being discontinued so they sold me the display unit off the shelf for $50! [​IMG]
    Anyway, for the price ($150 for the pair @ Costco) I'm very happy with the performance, looks and construction of these speakers (used primarily for HT).
    Steve,
    I'm running a very similar system.....in addition to the Advents mentioned above for the 3 fronts I'm also running a Kenwood VR-507 and the Velo CT-120. For the rears, I'm using the Jensen bookshelf speakers that Circuit City gave me for free when I bought the receiver.....cheapo speakers but for surrounds they seem to be fine (especially considering this set-up is used primarily for Barney tapes and DVDs for my 4 year old)! [​IMG]
    Except for the price of the sub (this was actually moved from my main system with the intent of replacing it with an SVS....waiting on the PC+) I think I was able to put together a very impressive sounding HT system for the money. [​IMG]
    Sorry for getting off the original subject...
    Vin

9. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Vin what mains and center do you run on your No. one system? I have a extra sub, center and surrounds so far sitting in the den under a table. I hope to do the same-"two systems". I was thinking SVS or HSU for my main, to replace the ct. I really do like the ct though. I might run both and then use the one my 504 came with for the secondary unit. Maybe I won't think so much of the ct after I try the HSU or SVS? Looks like I will have to stick to a deal I made and wait until Jan. 1st 03.

10. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

Hey Steve,
    I'm running JBL's (discontinued) HLS line....HLS 620 towers for my mains along with with the HLS center channel. This system is in my basement with my 60" RPTV and also includes a Kenwood VR-507. I liked this receiver so much that I put a 2nd one in my living room (as mentioned in my earlier post)......IMO, the Kenwood offers a tremendous bang for your buck as a HT receiver.
    I was originally running the Velo CT-120 with this system but moved it to the living room set-up when I decided to upgrade to the SVS.....I had the 20-39PCi in my home for about a month and thought it was great but couldn't pass up the opportunity to upgrade to the PC+ for another $100.....the only problem is that now I have to wait until August before they start taking pre-orders for it. [​IMG]
    Based on what I've read so far the new HSU also sounds like a winner but it's $850 and I've decided I need to draw the line somewhere. [​IMG] Besides, I've already gotten a taste of what the SVS is all about and I can only imagine how much better the PC+ will be at only $749 (for the 20-39)! [​IMG]
    BTW, the biggest diffence I found between the CT-120 (which I like very much) and the SVS 20-39PCi is what I was able to feel with the SVS. With the floor of the basement being cement (covered with carpeting) nothing short of an earthquake is going to get it to move the way a suspended floor, such as that of my living room can be felt moving when a sub is playing (the Velodyne is very effecive in my living room, BTW).
    So, what the SVS brought to the table is that I was able to feel the air around my head being pressurized during heavy bass scenes such as that found in Toy Story 2 and the Phantom Menace pod race. It wasn't until I experienced this myself, did I realize what people were talking about....someone described it as a sensation of having bugs in his hair.....now I understand! [​IMG] To try to furthur put things in perspective for you, I recently was able to demo a CT-150 in my basement and can only tell you that as good as it is there were no bugs present in my hair no matter how hot I ran it during the most bass heavy scenes that I threw at it.....my conclusion is that it just can't extend as low as the 20-39PCi.
    Anyway, my point here is that I've seen the light (or felt the bugs!) and there ain't no turning back, but as I said, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to step up to the Plus for only $100 more than I had paid for the PCi. [​IMG]
    Vin

11. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Yes Vin I sure do like the VR-507 to. I would not hesitate to go with another one. By the time I do it will not be available. I have a friend that has some older JBLs and they sound great. He had all the speakers but no sub. I sold him my WM-40 and did his eyes light up. He is like the same age as me, 42 and he could not believe what he has been missing. For that matter I have only been at this for eight months myself. In regards to your demo of the ct 150, could you tell me just how close it did perform to the SVS? If I go SVS it will be the PCI+ to. I like the idea of plug and play and one less thing to stack. I can say that the 150 pressurizes our living room and I feel it as much as I here it. I look forward to even more and I would think maybe even better bass. When it comes to special effects LFE will we ever get enough? You spoke of the pod race-- when I get home from work some times I say "give me 15 min of the pod and I will be fine". I like the opening scene of Armageddon to. 14 hr. day today so please excuse me I need 15 min of the-----------[​IMG]