ADVC-1394 problem

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Rob Gillespie, May 16, 2003.

1. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Bit confused about this thing. I've got the card installed, it was detected and installed OK automatically.

I try and perform an capture from LD in Vegas Video (it's the 3.0 LE version). All seems ok until I stop the capture and try different settings or another titles, or whatever. Then I get a totally blank capture screen, as if the card itself has turned off. Nothing. Not even audio.

The system seems to think it's a digital camcorder, with play, pause, forward buttons etc - and the playing time clock in the software never stops advancing - as if it thinks a 'tape' is playing all the time. There are no settings I can see to get the think working again - I have to power off the PC and start up again (simply rebooting doesn't work).

I've gotta say, for a product at this price level I was expecting maybe just a bit of documentation but there's basically nothing other than an installation guide. The WinProducer software that came with it is total crap and while Vegas seems a bit friendlier there is still precious little information.

But that aside - why the blank screen?

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

If you changed the size of the image, that could be the problem. Exactly what settings did you change? DV is one set standard 720x480(720x576 PAL) 3.5MB/s

3. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

My earlier post sounds a bit misleading. The problem happens when the stop button (in the software) is clicked. It looks like it thinks it's controlling a camcorder and when stop is pressed it can't find a way of connecting properly to the device again.

I asked aboutt this over on DVDrHelp.com and someone came back saying it was an issue with Windows Xp and the card. It's not critical - I can close the window and save the files without the lockout happening, so it's just an annoyance really.

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Well, I'm guessing it is simulating a digital camcorder, and it locks up because it doesn't recieve an acknowlege

There's probably more documentation on Canopus' web site

5. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

It's a known issue, alledgedly.

I'm just trying a little freeware app called WinDV which does audio and video capture but without all the fuss. The .exe file is a whopping 92kb in size.