What's new

advantages of centre channel? (1 Viewer)

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
I've been thinking of upgrading my center channel to something that can produce deeper bass, and perhaps mesh better with my fronts (old bookshelves that go down to 50 Hz). I've looked at center speakers, and have noticed that frequently, they are more expensive than a pair of bookshelf speakers, and most certainly more expensive than a single bookshelf (assuming that one can find a retailer selling single speakers).

What are the advantages of the center speaker over a bookshelf? I don't have a large screen, and assuming that I purchase a magnetically shielded model, will a bookshelf produce acceptable results?

I have a onkyo-502. I use it for a mix of activities: DVDs, HDTV, Music, radio (NPR), etc.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
One advantage is usually higher sensitivity and another would be a somewhat wider horizontal dispersion than a single bookshelf, but there really isn't any reason at all why you couldn't use a bookshelf speaker as a center.

Ideally, you want your mains and center to be timbre matched - to sound nearly identical. All 5 of my speakers are identical bookshelf speakers and it works great :)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
If you want deeper bass consider upgrading the subwoofer (or adding if you don't have one).

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Most helpful. I very much doubt that I'll be able to timbre match infinity RS-9s, though.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Ah. But I have a subwoofer. (A Dayton 10 inch). I'm looking for an improvement in (lower) midrange frequencies and vocal clarity.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You probably won't find a perfect match, but if you look for a speaker that at least has a similar tweeter material, you will be well on your way to finding something close.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
It worked. Not a center channel, but a bookshelf. Much fuller sound, and I find it more difficult to discern the difference between the "Music" and "Movie" sound modes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks