What's new

advantages and disadvantages between cable and the dish (1 Viewer)

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
advantages for the dish
  1. better picture
  2. better sound (depends on system)
  3. more channels
  4. cheaper (for basic channels and 1 tv per month)

5. sports channels[/list=1]

disadvantages for dish
    1. one tv can play it (extra per tv)
    2. may have to move trees
    3. wind may knock out picture
    4. the wife or kid may want to watch something while your favorite show is on, what do you do

5. no local channels[/list=1]

adavntages with cable
      1. all tvs can get it
      2. no arguments
      3. get all channels with out paying subscriptions that run out
      4. all local channels for free (the cable company gave us the local stations with out extra charges.[/list=1]

disadvantages to cable
        1. no sports subscriptions
        2. more expensive
        3. picture is slightly worse
        4. sound is slightly worse[/list=1]

Does anybody else have more suggestions

Brian E

Screenwriter
When I priced getting a dish it was more expensive, not cheaper, than cable to get the same channels I get now. You had to pay extra for the local channels plus there was an extra charge per tv (I have cable running to 4 TVs).

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
Locals are available on dish, in most cities. At the very least you can get the "big city" stations (my parents live in western Wisconsin, while they can't get Eau Claire stations, they can get Minneapolis/St. Paul stations, good enough if you ask me). Locals are usually $6/month

Locals are not free on cable, you pay for basic cable. If you are getting them off an antenna (spelling?) then it wouldn't matter if the "fringe channels" were coming from cable or dish.

Depending on your cable company you might be required to have a converter box (digital cable) which is, in reality identical to a dish receiver.

You can't underestimate the importance of price. Right now I pay close to $75/month for extended basic + HBO on MediaCom Digital Cable. If I were to switch to DirecTV, I'd pay no more than $50 for the same channels. Since most installations/equipment are free now and mirroring of channel packaging is only $5/month it isn't much of a problem to hook up multiple sets in a home.

Brian E

Screenwriter
For Basic, Extended Basic and Basic Plus (or whatever they call it) I pay $38 a month. With a basic satellite package with local channels on all four of my TVs my cost would be $53 a month. Quite a jump. My point was that cable is not necessarily more expensive. If I was hooking it up to one TV the price would be the same as cable and I would more seriously consider switching.

Daniel T

Stunt Coordinator
Satellite is far superior to cable IMHO. Granted you get the occasional outage with bad weather but that is usually for 5 to 10 minutes. I live in the Birmingham, AL area and cable is outragous. The cable company here is forcing everyone who wants the movie channels to upgrade to Digital Cable. Also, the basic cable without digital cable is 45 dollars a month. With basic you get about 30 channels. With satellite you can get so much more for around $50 bucks. I was thinking going cable when I moved from Louisiana to Alabama but the prices where horrible. They also base the price of cable depending on what type of neighborhood or area of town you live in. I don't remember satellite asking me where I lived in order to tell me my rates. Cable companies IMHO is the biggest ripoff and scam known to man.

Daniel

PaulBoud

Agent
I have to agree. I finally gave up on the cable company (Adelphia). For about the same price I get almost identical channels as I did with the cable, with locals and a second receiver. I still get hi speed internet thru them but only because DSL is not available to me.

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
comcast gives us around 80 channels for around $50.00. Priemenum for a few more. So it is depending where you live on how many channels and for how much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks