What's new

Advantage of S-Video cable to coax TV? (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
My TV only has one video input and it is coax. If I use my a/v receiver as a video switcher, is there any advantage to using S-video to link the DVD player to the receiver even though I will have to use standard coax to the TV's video input?
JKS
------------------
My one goal in life is to live forever.
Ya know what? . . . So far, So good! Yeah!

Marty Neudel

Stunt Coordinator
>You can use your composite out from the DVD player to RF Demodulator to TV.
Jeremy,
Sean has put you on the right track. However, I',m sure he meand to say modulator not demodulator. This device will modulate the video (and audio, if included) information onto an RF carrier that will travel the 75 Ohm cable to your TV. It's a small difference; but, if you buy an RF demodulator, you will most likely end up with a device to extract the Dolby Digital information from the RF modulated carrier issued by a laser-disc player. Obciously, this is a far cry from what you want.
Marty

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Jeremy, welcome! I am sure that my fellow members above meant well in recommending an RF modulator, but I must warn you that your dvd video will suffer GREATLY if you hook it up in this manner, believe me, I lived with a modulator for a whole year, and you couldn't tell if it was dvd or vhs!
I would tell anyone with this problem to upgrade their monitor as soon as humanly possible with one with an s-video input. Your dvd's will shine like you wouldn't believe!
------------------
The Multi Channel Animal's truly, madly, deeply in love with Estella Warren!

donovan_chin

Stunt Coordinator
I wouldn't go so far as to say that using the RF modulator degrades your video to the level of VHS but Jeremy has a point. The RF modulator is a temp fix allowing you to watch DVDs but you will definitely not see how good DVD-Video is till you actually hook it up to a proper monitor. I know this from experience because I lived with an RF modulator for more than 8 months till I got a better TV. Even composite inputs are better than the RF.

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
Thanks for your help on this, guys. I am currently running the DVD Composite through the RF Modulator and then to the TV input. The picture looks pretty good to me for now. A new TV is a few years down the road for me as I recently made some upgrades in the audio department. For now, I was just trying to figure out whether or not there's any advantage of going S-video to the a/v receiver instead of composite even though I have to go composite to the TV. I guess not. Thanks again!
JKS
------------------

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the clarification, Sean. I appreciate it!
JKS
------------------

Jeff Leigh

Agent
I had a RF modulator hooked up for a while too and the picture wasn't that bad. This is probably due to the fact that TVs without s-video inputs are probably older or not that good to begin with. They will mostly hide any degradation of quality that the RF conversion introduces to the picture. I had both VHS and DVD running through the modulator and the DVD was definitely clearer.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks