Advanced questions from a newbie

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin_R_H, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Kevin_R_H

Kevin_R_H Stunt Coordinator

Hello. I'm new to this site, and I have a few questions. I'm building a home, with a dedicated HT room (16' W x 14'8" D). I will be replacing my 20 yr old Stereo system, as well as most of my 4 yr old HT (some pieces will be moved to the Family Room). This HT room will be for "straight audio" as well as HT, with my stereo serving as the "Main Speakers" for HT.

My questions have to do with speakers. My system will include MUCH higher quality audio equipment for stereo (power amps, pre amp, speakers) than for surround (A/V processor, auxillary speakers).

1) If my Main Speakers are truly "full-range (20Hz - 20KHz)", is there any reason for me to purchase a Subwoofer (since it will be of inferior quality and played through inferior electronics)?

2) I have the same question for Center Channel - will my Main Speakers play this role if the Center Speaker is absent? If so, won't the sound be much better in this setup (since my Center Speaker would not match the Main Speakers)?

3) I know, I know - why not just by similar equipment all around? Well, my wife gave me a budget, and I'm making the conscious decision to get the best stereo gear I can afford, and squeeze the A/V gear around it. So, I'm hoping the answer will be "it's not the quantity of speakers, but the quality that matters".

4) The DVD Player (Panasonic DVD-RP91) has a "2 Channel output" (in addition to the usual A/V outputs). Does this mean the signal for the "Main Speakers" can be sent directly from DVD Player to Stereo Pre-Amp (therefore bypassing the A/V Processor) while still sending Optical Digital out to the A/V Processor?

5) Further, will I be able to use the DVD Player as a "stereo only" CD Player without having to reach behind the thing to switch out the plugs?

System as planned: Sanyo PLV-60, Panasonic DVD-RP91, Yamaha DSP-492E, Technics SH-AC5000D (still needed??), Basis 1400 Turntable, Kora Cosmos Monoblocks, Kora Eclipse PreAmp, Gershman Acoustics Opera Sauvage, PSB Alpha S Bipolar, PSB Subsonic 7 (if utilized), PSB 9C (if utilized), bettercables interconnects/speaker cable. If a CD Player is needed, I haven't researched that at all.

Thanks,

Kevin

2. Steve Zimmerman

Steve Zimmerman Second Unit

Well you've clearly thought this through and you've named a list of high-end components that I've never auditioned--so clearly they must be expensive [​IMG]
    I think you're smart to buy the best mains you can rather than buy lesser quality speakers so as to be able to afford a center and sub. No need to buy everything all at once. However, if you're going to watch HT with this system you will eventually want both.
    --Steve

3. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

1. A subwoofer saves your main speakers from having to deliver large amounts of low bass during special effects in movies. As a subwoofer normally has its own built-in amplifier the sound quality is directly based on what brand and how much you spend.

2. Many folks do not have a center speaker, using the "phantom center" option instead. There is debate on this, but most would agree that no center with 2 really good L/R's is better than using a poor quality center speaker.

4. The 2-channel audio outputs on the DVD player should not be used to directly feed the front L/R for surround sound, as they will contain both front and surround signals. You should go from digital/optical out to your surround processor first so that the processor can split the signal.

5. You can use the 2-channel audio outputs on the DVD for listening to stereo CD's. Simply connect to your CD input on your pre-amp.

4. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

I'm with Rick on 1 and 2.
    A good sub will free up your mains (regarldess of how low they can go) for better all around performance. On a fixed budget, this might give you better sound for the same $$. For HT, you'll likely find youself wanting that dedicated sub.
    Here is a thread for review. It's worth the read as it goes into this. Check out JKs and BFs comments on the first page.
    http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/003524.html
    --Steve

5. Kevin_R_H

Kevin_R_H Stunt Coordinator

I appreciate all of your input. However, I want to expand on my question #5 relative to Rick's answer.

Let's say I have the "2-Channel outputs" from the RP91 hooked into the "CD Inputs" for my Stereo Pre-Amp. At the same time, I have the "Optical Output" from RP91 hooked into A/V Processor.

If so, what happens when I play a CD (intended to go only to the Stereo Pre-Amp). How does the DVD Player know which way to send the signal, or does it send it out through all outputs (and therefore I will only hear what I have "amplified")?

Thanks again,

Kevin