What's new

Advanced look at Thoroughly Modern Millie Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I went to the theatre as a 14 year old with my mother and we both loved the film and found it hilarious. As we walked out we passed two old biddies, (probably the age I am now), and heard them talking. "That was the stupidest movie I have ever seen!" one remarked, and the other agreed.
That incident reminds me when I saw the national touring company of A Little Night Music with Jean Simmons in San Francisco. Leaving the theatre, the man in front of me said, "What a wonderful show! It's too bad it had those awful songs in it". :lol:

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
That incident reminds me when I saw the national touring company of A Little Night Music with Jean Simmons in San Francisco. Leaving the theatre, the man in front of me said, "What a wonderful show! It's too bad it had those awful songs in it". :lol:
Awful songs in it? Are you serious? Send in the Clowns is one of the most memorable songs ever written. Stephen Sondheim is my all time favourite composer. He gave us WEST SIDE STORY and many more classics. Such a pity that the film was disappointing as it had one of my favourite songs deleted from it- Liasons!

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Awful songs in it? Are you serious? Send in the Clowns is one of the most memorable songs ever written. Stephen Sondheim is my all time favourite composer. He gave us WEST SIDE STORY and many more classics. Such a pity that the film was disappointing as it had one of my favourite songs deleted from it- Liasons!
Hey, don't shoot the messenger! I adore Sondheim. Agree that the film version of ALNM was a major disappointment but that's Harold Prince's fault. He's a great stage director but he should never be allowed behind a movie camera again (and he wasn't).

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
Well when you say composer, then say WEST SIDE STORY, you're misspeaking. Leonard Bernstein is the composer of WEST SIDE STORY. Sondheim wrote the lyrics, as he also did for GYPSY. With the exception of the "Send in the Clowns" and "Night Waltz", I agree with that woman. It seemed like a lot of noise, to me, when I saw it.

What is MILLIE's release date?

Last edited:

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I listen to "Night Music" almost as much as my favorite "Sunday in the Park With George". Especially when I'm feeling a bit glum, "Night Music" cheers me up.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

I could see that. They were probably expecting the type of songs that work outside the setting of the show. Aside from "Send in the Clowns", the songs in ALNM really only work in the context of the show. Lots of people (Sinatra, Judy Collins, Streisand, et al) recorded a version of Send in the Clowns, but probably none of the other songs in the show.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will

cinemel1

Second Unit
Real Name
Mel Matsil
I listen to "Night Music" almost as much as my favorite "Sunday in the Park With George". Especially when I'm feeling a bit glum, "Night Music" cheers me up.
The original Broadway Cast Recording of A Little Night Music is, IMHO, one of the best recordings of a B’way musical. I bought the SACD release of ALNM on Dutton Vocalion which includes the surround version of the album. They affectively used the surround channels especially in the wonderful A Weekend in the Country. (The original Broadway cast of Company is also in SACD on Dutton Vocalion in surround sound.)

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
The original Broadway Cast Recording of A Little Night Music is, IMHO, one of the best recordings of a B’way musical. I bought the SACD release of ALNM on Dutton Vocalion which includes the surround version of the album. They affectively used the surround channels especially in the wonderful A Weekend in the Country. (The original Broadway cast of Company is also in SACD on Dutton Vocalion in surround sound.)

Those "quad" SACS are great - also bought Company and A Chorus Line, all excellent IMO.

Also to keep this somewhat Millie related, and back to the discussion of two-channel stereo, I listen to the DVD of Millie using the matrix surround setting and I have been pleased with how it fills the surrounds with music. The vocals are dead center so they stay anchored in the center. I find the effect very pleasing.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Julie's series and the later specials were all quality affairs and quite unusual compared to the other music/variety series which dotted the TV landscape in those years.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Night Music could have used Andrews rather than Taylor but then it probably never would have gotten the funding to be made into a film.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
What a shitty thing for Lehman to say.

That's not to say I buy it. To me, it reeks more of defensiveness regarding the criticism levelled at Barbra's casting (For the record, I think she's fine, by the way, if ill-suited to the material) than anything else but jeeze Ernie, a little gallantry would go a long way here.

Totally and im not buying it. He rewrote and turned Thornton Wilder’s Irish Dolly Gallagher Levi into a Yiddish sounding Mae West for Streisand. I’d like to know what TW thought of it.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Does anyone have an opinion (!) of the recorded CD of Bette Midler's "Hello Dolly"?
Didn’t see her performance but thought it sorely lacked. She’s a great interpreter of pop songs but this didn’t work for me on record. Friends told me you had to see it to get it. Never had that problem w any Lupone, Andrews, Peters or Streisand Bway recordings though. Also nothing can compare to the film recording where Barbra sang the hell out of it over the full Fox orchestra even though the movie to me was meh except for certain scenes which were brilliant.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I always found Hello Dolly in all its incarnations to be second rate. I am a collector, so I have CDs of the original cast as well as the movie and Bette Midler's version. I find the songs Dolly sings mediocre at best and the songs sung by the rest of the cast amateurish (good God! Try to listen to that "Ribbons Down My Back" thing without retching!)

Having said all that, we got tickets for Carol Channing's last tour in the part, and found her totally charming despite her being at least 105 years old! We really enjoyed every minute. I think it is a play where the star totally makes it a success.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.