What's new

Advanced editing software? (1 Viewer)

LennyP

Supporting Actor
What software would you recommend that allows to create your own scrolling credits at the end, like in films, and impose titles on video, join mpeg2 clips, stuff like that, basically edit a short movie together from clips into a presentable format. Just for my hobby. Price doesn't matter, any good software is welcome!

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
Well if Price doesn't matter you can use what I use Avid DV Express, it retails for around $3,000 is widely used by news stations and many video professionals. Not intended for the meek computer I would not run this software on anything other than a P4, I really like using this software, it can handle up to 8 channels of audio mixing as well as real time effects preview so instead of waiting to see the effect after the computer renders it, it renders in real time so you all you have to do is hit play and watch your masterpiece. This program has a ton of great features including built in DVD writing software so theres really not much you can do with it, if you want to see more about it, go to http://www.avid.com btw Avid is the company that also made the system used in many movies for editing including for Forrest Gump where they cut Lt. Dans legs off that was all done with an Avid system.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
actually I take back my statement check out Avid DS/HD has full support for everything up to 1080i and runs full non linear and uncompressed. Avid has been making non linear editing software/systems longer than anyone else and is the most widely used amongst video/film production professionals worldwide, you pay a pretty penny for there stuff but you get what you pay for.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
in using both Premiere even the newest version is no where near the quality of AVID, premiere is meant for the home/beginner user, where as AVID is intended for the highest quality professional use yet still maintain ease of use, Premiere has no where near the effects, character genereation, and other features AVID contains, not to mention to see anything you've done you have to wait for rediculous render times where AVID does all real time work. and is also completely non linear where as Premiere really is linear editing only. I could go on & on about the advantages of AVID over Premiere but I'll leave it at that for now.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Ulead Media Studio Pro.

- Scrolling credits built in
- Multiple title overlays built-in
- MPEG-2 editing and creating built-in

I use it exclusively for editing. For what you want, it is actually superior to Adobe Premiere and many others, particularly since it supports MPEG-2 natively.

And it's cheaper that Premiere.

LennyP

Supporting Actor
I already have some of Ulead products like Ulead Moviefactory which I use for authoring my hardware encodes of tv show episodes, I'll try MediaStudio Pro.

I've used Premiere before, really didn't like it, buggy, just annoyed me, maybe the latest version is better but I'm done with it.

Now Avid|DS, damn, I like that it's being used by so many industry professionals, and the abilities of it are awesome. I'd need more ram for it though. It's probably too much for my needs, but an excellent program. Maybe I'll get Xpress DV.

Thank you everyone, I think I got what I need now, either of these two will work out fine!

Paul E. Fox II

Second Unit
I know the the newest version of Premiere, version 6.5, supposedly does most of it's thing in Real Time, IF you have the video hardware that supports that sort of thing.

Yes, AVID is the real deal, but for $3,000.00...it damn well SHOULD be the real deal!

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Just a quick clarification: Avid Xpress DV is $1500, not $3000. It runs on both Mac and PC out of the same box.

And BTW, Lenny, Avid|DS is indeed a hell of a system and has an incredible compositing engine. It's a killer machine for doing HD work. That said, you'll definitely need a more macho machine to run it -- and some external hardware. I have an Avid|DS system in my office and it runs on a dual 2.2 GHz Zeon workstation with one and a half gigs of RAM. (The external hardware is used to input and output either HD or SD video and eight channels of digital audio.)

-greg

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I never said Premiere is better than Avid in any way. What I'm saying is that Premiere is an afforable product that is well made, and does almost anything I want it to

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
well they've dropped the price on xpress DV then when I was originally looking at it and aquired it it was closer to the 3000 range if I remember correctly I may be wrong though. All I know is I absolutely love it.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Lots of people seem to like Vegas Video for editing on the PC. Version 4.0 just came out, I think.

~T

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
iMovie does not work on MPEG-2 clips; it works with DV. If Lenny was using DV, that's what I would have recommended, although he probably doesn't have a Mac :)

MPEG is not a good format for editing. For most cuts, the frames around the cut must be rerendered.

Does Media Studio Pro support frame-accurate MPEG editing? I don't see it on the feature comparison chart. That's really the only advanced requirement.

//Ken

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Does Media Studio Pro support frame-accurate MPEG editing?
I've never had any problems using it for editing MPEG-2 files into another MPEG-2 file. The most that I ever had to do was extract the audio to a WAV file and then use it as a replacement to the actual audio track inside the MPEG-2 file. That's fine by me, because it allowed me to normalize and equalize the audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks